Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Instant Pot: Stock/Broth

I decided to see how the Instant Pot did for making bone broth.  I usually do this as an all day activity, simmering for 8 to 10 hours and then seeing it turn into gelatinous goodness after sitting in the fridge overnight.

In the pot, I put in some roasted chicken bones (2 carcasses) that were in the freezer.  I added:
  • 2 carrots, large chop
  • 2 stalks of celery, large chop
  • Quartered onion (I always leave the skin on)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • A few sprigs of fresh thyme
  • Handful of fresh cilantro and stems
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

I filled water up to the max line and set the instant pot to the manual.  I put it on high pressure for 120 minutes.  I did a natural release.  This took about 4 hours in total by the time it came to pressure and then released.


When I took the lid off it smelled wonderful.  It looked dark and rich and fatty like the stocks I spend hours on making.


I strained it and then put this in the fridge, covered overnight.



When I got home from work, I scraped the fat off and discarded it.  It was gelatinous, not as thick as when I use a turkey carcass, but still fine.




This was a good day to make soup as it was rainy and just that kind of day for it.  Whoa, it turned out sooo tasty...just sayin'.  😉  I liked the instant pot for making a quick broth though, when I have the time, I'd still prefer to do it the long way - maybe it just feels more rewarding and therapeutic?  

No comments:

Post a Comment