Saturday, August 3, 2019

Roasted Broccoli Soup with Gruyere Cheese and Ham

This was ingredients I had in the fridge today.  I went to the farmer's market earlier and picked up some excellent bread.  I thought it would be nice to have with soup.


I preheated the oven to 400°F.  I put the broccoli on parchment paper, lightly doused with extra-virgin olive oil and S&P.  I set the timer for 40 minutes.


What I used:
  • 2 lbs of broccoli crowns
  • 8 cups of organic low-sodium "Better than Bouillon" chicken stock
  • 1 Walla Walla onion, diced
  • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 tablespoon Trader Joe's no-salt "21 Seasoning Salute"
  • 1 cup of white wine
  • 450 grams Gruyere cheese, grated
  • 1 cup of 2% milk
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Crushed red chili flakes, to taste
  • 2 cups ham, diced
  • 6 baby new potatoes quartered
  • Handful fresh carrot tops
  • Handful of fresh Italian parsley
  • Organic extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
  • 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • Crispy shallots, for garnish
I sauteed the onion and garlic until soft.  I added the flour and a tad more oil and cooked it out.  I put in the seasoning.  I added the wine and reduced by half.  Everything else went into the pool except for the milk, cheese and ham.  I  brought to a boil.


I turned it low and simmered for 40 minutes and then used my immersion blender to puree it all, removing the bay leaves first.


I stirred in the ham, milk and cheese until stirred until heated through and cheese was melted.


I checked the seasoning and served.  Breads were potato, rosemary and asiago, and Whistler wheat bread.


This was very good.  Not amazing, but still top-notch.  I was hoping the Gruyere would give a sharper cheese note than it did, especially at that price for it.  Nonetheless, it was cheesy and comforting.  I also was hoping that roasting the broccoli would have imparted more flavor than it did as well.  It was a full pot of soup!  I don't think it will freeze well, so co-workers will be getting some of this, for sure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment