Saturday, August 24, 2019

Apple Walnut Cinnamon Bread

I made this for my son long after he had gone to bed last night.  He loves my banana bread, but I wanted to try something different.  I followed the recipe, but added toasted walnuts and tweaked a little for my tastes.


APPLE MIXTURE:
  • 2 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and chopped in tiny cubes (below is one apple done)
  • One lemon zested and juiced
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup walnuts, lightly smashed in a Ziploc and toasted

BATTER:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 organic free range large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 orange, juiced
Preheat oven to 350°F and use cooking spray on a 9"x5" loaf pan.  In a large bowl, stir together chopped apples, lemon juice, zest, brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon.


In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Beat in flour, baking powder, and orange juice until just combined.  Add half batter to prepared loaf pan, then press in half the apple mixture.



Top with remaining batter, then press remaining apples on top. Bake until loaf is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 65  minutes.


Cool on a rack for 15 minutes, then turn over and dump out on rack and cool for another 15 minutes.  (A bit of the cake stuck in the corner when I flipped it.  The recipe used parchment in their loaf pan, I was lazy and did not).


Cut in slices and serve with butter.


Above is the piece with the torn corner and no butter on it.  I tried it.  The cake was very tasty with the right amount of sweetness.  The apple mix was tarter than I anticipated but it balanced out enough.  If I did it again, I might use pure maple syrup instead of the brown sugar or a combo of both.  I'd also add a pinch of salt to bring out the apple sweetness.  My son enjoyed it.  Saw him drinking coffee and munching away on it before he left for work today.  He gave me a big thumbs up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment