Saturday, October 3, 2020

Brie Cheese Pull-Apart Bread

I've always wanted to make this.  Usually want to do it at Christmas time but haven't yet as it isn't the "heathiest" to say the least, and that time of year is usually bad enough with all I do.  However, I saw that this great bakery by my house was selling this for a limited time.  I thought the splurge would be now.  They described it as:  "A delicious sourdough loaf made with Sifted Red Spring Wheat Flour, a small touch of chili flakes and loaded with Golden Ears Cheesecrafters Havarti and Cheddar Cheese".  $12!!!  Below shot is after picking it up, still warm. This would be served with homemade tomato soup.


The recipe on my "to do" list is here.  I had some roasted raspberry, smoky pepper sauce in the fridge from Costco so thought that would be a good choice. What I used:

  • 1 large Havarti/Cheddar cheese boule
  • 1/2 cup unsalted melted butter
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • Pinch of crushed red chili peppers
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 teaspoons freshly chopped rosemary
  • Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 (8-oz.) triple cream wheel Brie, cut into thin strips (I trimmed the rind off the top/bottom, you can leave it if you like it or are lazy 😉)
  • 1 & 1/2 cups roasted raspberry, smoky pepper sauce


Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 1/4 sheet pan with parchment paper. Using a serrated knife, crosshatch boule, slicing every inch in both directions and making sure not to slice all the way through the bottom.  This actually wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.  My serrated bread knife worked well.  


In a small bowl, whisk together melted butter, garlic, thyme, chili pepper and rosemary and season with salt and pepper. 


Brush boule with butter mixture, making sure to get inside crosshatches. (My absent sous chef son was a dream for helping with this! He opened them while I brushed it in)


Stuff each crosshatch with Brie and raspberry sauce.  My son saved my preparation with his help tonight - 2 people are better than 1 for this appetizer.  



Wrap bread completely in foil and put on sheet pan.   Bake until cheese is melty and bread is warm and toasty, about 40 minutes but your oven may be different or your bread that you use, so like I used to say in the "old days" - "your mileage may vary"...
 

Let cool 5 minutes, then serve.  I just sliced off pieces rather than us standing around "pulling pieces out".  


This was special.  The bread was heavenly.  There was nice garlicky butter flavor, hints of herbs, the smoky raspberry sauce and cheesy goodness.  The bottom of the boule was browned and crispy giving nice texture contrasts.  I didn't notice the chili flakes.  I could see them, but didn't get heat.  This went well with tomato soup.  We enjoyed it very much.  Lots of leftovers for lunch tomorrow.  



No comments:

Post a Comment