Friday, October 9, 2020

One-Pot Ground Turkey Chili with Quinoa

 I wanted to make an easy healthy meal that wouldn't have many leftovers.  I came up with this:

  • 1 lb extra-lean ground turkey
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 small green pepper, diced
  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
  • 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped coarsely
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 can "Rotel" diced tomatoes in green chilies
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 2 cups of organic, low-sodium "Better than Bouillon" chicken stock
  • 1 can organic low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed well
  • 1 cup organic quinoa, toasted in dry pan
  • Large handful fresh cilantro, chopped coarsely
  • Spanish olive oil, as needed
  • 1/2 cup grated old cheddar cheese, for garnish
  • Dollop of sour cream, for garnish

I swirled some olive oil in a frying pan.  I started by sautéing the onion, garlic, celery and green pepper until softened.  I seasoned with S&P.  


The turkey went in next.  


When browned (whitened, ha ha) I made a space and cooked the tomato paste.  I stirred well to combine it with everything.  I seasoned next with the chili powder, cumin, S&P and chipotles.  


Everything else went into the pool now, the tomatoes, beans, broth and quinoa.  




I mixed well and put a lid on it.  I brought to a boil and then a simmer for 30 minutes.  I stirred in the cilantro and then plated garnishing with cheese and sour cream.




I totally failed in only make a "little" dinner, sigh...  That being said, this was very tasty.  The chilies in adobo sauce really brought a nice heat, smoky flavor to it.  My son ate two bowls as he said it was so good.  And, we know what's for lunch and dinner tomorrow, don't we?



No comments:

Post a Comment