Thursday, October 22, 2020

Braised Lamb Shanks with Orange Gremolata

I do love fall/winter season for cooking even if this year has brought the second wave of Covid-19 with it. 😢  So many soups, casseroles, stews and comfort food will be filling our days now.  

I have never made lamb shanks from scratch but have always wanted to so I ordered them from the grocery store.  I figured I'd make them like I usually do my short ribs.  I debated what to serve them over, grits, polenta or mashed taters.  The latter won out today, simply because it was the easiest for me. Lamb shanks are supposed to be a cheap cut of meat as they're tough, but I paid $35 for them.  I don't consider that a bargain... 

I did get to use my cast iron enamel Dutch oven today though, first time this year.  😊  My concoction today:

  • 6 lamb shanks patted dry and seasoned with S&P
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, halved and sliced
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 1/2 lb white mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 28 oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
  • 1 large organic navel orange, juiced (I used the zest for the gremolata)
  • 1 cup cabernet sauvignon wine
  • 2 cups organic low-sodium "Better than Bouillon" vegetable stock
  • Few sprigs of fresh thyme, tied in twine bundle
  • Few sprigs of fresh Italian parsley, tied in twine bundle
  • 1 stem of fresh rosemary, tied in twine bundle
  • 2 fresh bay leaves
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Organic extra-virgin olive oil, as needed

First step was to brown the shanks.  This was done in the Dutch oven with a swirl of oil, 3 at a time and removed to a plate when done.  


They were slippery little suckers and not the easiest to brown like short ribs are - they are round and so it's more difficult.  I drained off the excess fat and added another swirl of olive oil.  


The onion, celery, mushrooms, carrot and garlic were sautéed next.  When soft, the tomato paste went in and this was cooked until well combined with the veggies.  


Everything else went in and then the lamb shanks were placed in the pot.  It was brought to a boil and then covered.


The oven was preheated to 350°F and the Dutch oven went in for 2 hours.  OMG it smelled soooo good in the house...  


When I had a look at that time, I had to gage how much fat was in there now, meaning do I defat or was this good to go?  



I had to defat (I don't like liquid lamb fat!), so this meant getting out another Dutch oven to pour that new strained sauce to.  When I was finished the sauce was perfect, no reducing needed.  So I took the lamb that was tented with foil and warmed it back up over medium heat in the gravy.  I checked the seasoning and plated.  I garnished with the gremolata.  Below, son asked for 2 shanks though he didn't finish, but he gave it valiant effort...


We went to dinner heaven.  Oh geez this was amazing!!!  Everything was perfect and I mean everything.  The lamb was fall of the bone tender.  The gravy was rich and thick and seasoned on point.  The gremolata just stole the show with the bright citrus and parsley cutting through the heaviness.  Enough for leftovers tomorrow and I can only imagine it will improve.  5-Star meal.  😋  I'm patting myself on the back over this one...


No comments:

Post a Comment