Sunday, October 11, 2020

Thanksgiving: Spiced Rum Bananas Foster

Instead of pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving, I decided to do Bananas Foster.  This is a favorite of my sons.  I followed this recipe though it's pretty straight forward to guess on your own if you've had it before.  I bought Duncan Hines yellow cake mix and made a pound cake with their recipe for it.  I made the cake the day before and froze half of it for another time, the rest was wrapped in Saran and put in the fridge. 



  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 tablespoons brown sugar 
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar
  • 4 ripe bananas, sliced in half lengthwise and crosswise 
  • 3 ounces dark spiced rum
  • Yellow pound cake, sliced for serving 
  • Häagen-Dazs vanilla ice cream, for serving 

In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon sugar. When the mixture begins to bubble, add the bananas and cook for 1 minute. 



Remove the skillet from the heat and add the rum. Carefully ignite the rum with a match or the flame from the stove. 


Cook until the flame dies out. (Unfortunately I couldn't capture the flame on film but it was on fire above).  Serve at once over slices of pound cake and top with vanilla ice cream.


EDIT Oct. 13th:

P.S.  With the leftovers, I made my son Bananas Foster French Toast.  I used the pound cake as the bread for the egg batter, fried it and heated the rum bananas as the topping.  I topped with fresh banana and whip cream instead of ice cream.





No comments:

Post a Comment