Sunday, October 11, 2020

Thanksgiving: Gateau di Patate (Italian Potato Cake)

I saw this on food t.v. and couldn't resist making it.  It seemed appropriate for Thanksgiving and it was something new to make.  I love trying a new dish each Thanksgiving.  I ordered the salami from this great local place we have here.  I baked this with the roasted veggies and stuffing while the turkey was resting. I also made this the day before so all I would have to do is bake it at dinner time.  I had a shit load of stuff going for a 2 people dinner.  😜  Doing most of the prep early was really helpful...


  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus 4 tablespoons
  • 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I made my own), divided 
  • 2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters (I used 4 medium)
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for the water
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus 2 tablespoons for the water 
  • 1 cup sour cream 
  • 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, divided 
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 
  • 1/2 pound finocchiona, diced and rind removed
  • 1/2 pound smoked provolone, grated and rind removed for aesthetic purposes only - we ate that part up


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter the inside of a 9-inch spring form pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs and rotate the pan to coat the bottom and the sides completely. Set aside.


Put the potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Season the water well with salt and 2 tablespoons butter and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer until cooked through and easily pierced with the tip of knife, about 15 minutes. Drain well.

In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining stick of butter. In a large bowl combine the melted butter, sour cream, 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Mix well with a rubber spatula.


Using a ricer, rice the cooked potatoes over the sour cream mixture. Use the rubber spatula to combine well. Add the beaten eggs and stir to combine. Scoop half of the mixture into the prepared pan.  I used an offset spatula to spread the mixture.


Sprinkle the finocchiona evenly over potato mixture and top with the provolone. 



Scoop the remaining potato mixture on top and spread evenly. 


Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano and top with the remaining 5 teaspoons of butter. Okay, okay, yes I used more butter than that, lol.  


I covered with foil and put in the fridge overnight at this point.  I removed it a half hour early to come to room temperature before it went in the oven.  


Bake until hot all the way through and golden brown on top, about 45 minutes. Allow the gateau to rest for 15 minutes before unmolding and serving.


I'm calling this the pièce de résistance of our dinner.  All I can say is WOW.  The fennel salami was fantastic tasting along with the smoky cheese.  The potatoes were creamy and dreamy.  The crisp top was delicious.  This is a re-do for sure on a special occasion.  Yum!





No comments:

Post a Comment