Saturday, April 9, 2022

Homemade Sugar-Free Russian Salad Dressing

When googling recipes, I saw that most of the Russian dressings were like "Thousand Island" minus the pickles.  When we buy it in a store, it looks like this below here in Canada, so I wanted a recipe that resembled that.  I based mine on this one though made it my own. 


  • 1/3 cup monk fruit sweetener
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 3/4 stalk of celery, grated on microplane
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 organic lemon,  juiced
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
  • 100 ml ketchup 
  • Sriracha sauce, to taste (I used a heaping tablespoon as we like it spicy)
  • 1/4 cup red onion, grated



I started with my vinaigrette jar but had to move to a mason jar as I ran out room!  Above is before adding the oil!   I shook it all together and put it in the fridge to let the flavors bloom.  

This was better than the "Kraft" brand and I loved no sugar in it.  In fact, I'd cut the sweetener down to 1/4 cup next time.  I'd also use sweet or hot paprika.  I despise smoked paprika but it was the first one I saw and I didn't feel like digging (lazy) through the spice cabinet today looking for the others.  Anyway, the dressing had a nice salty, sweet, tangy balance.  A keeper recipe!  



No comments:

Post a Comment