Friday, April 15, 2022

Pork Katsu Sandwich

 I saw this on food t.v. and wanted to make it at home.  For the sauce I used:


  • 1/4 cup Kewpie mayonnaise
  • 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar 
  • 2 teaspoons gochujang
  • 1 teaspoon monk fruit sweetener
  • 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi


I had 3 boneless loin pork chops which I pounded between plastic wrap with the flat side of a mallet.  


I tried to make them the size of the milk bread I bought specifically for this sandwich.  I seasoned with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper on each side when done.  Set up a breading station: Place the flour and some salt in one shallow dish, eggs with a dash of water and a pinch of salt in the second dish and panko in the third dish. Working with one piece of pork at a time, coat the pork in the flour and shake off the excess. Dip in the egg and drain the excess, then dredge in the panko. (Make sure the panko coats all sides.) Transfer to a plate.


I fried the chops in my cast iron pan with about a quarter inch of grapeseed oil. 


When browned I put them on paper towels to catch the oil and seasoned with more S&P.  


I spread the sauce on the bread, both slices.  


I laid a cutlet over and sprinkled some shredded lettuce (which was tossed with more rice vinegar and S&P) on top followed by the bread.  I cut in half and served.


I really liked the wasabi kick in the sauce.  This was fried nicely as in crisp and not tough (quicker than I thought!  Glad it didn't burn) and was a truly delicious sando.  Authentic?  No, and who cares?  It tasted great and that's what matters.  Yum.  Now that I know how easy the cutlets were to make,  I may try a more authentic sauce next time though I really loved the wasabi in this and some kind of vinegary salad on it is a must...

No comments:

Post a Comment