Sunday, April 14, 2019

Creamy Garlic Chicken Spanakopita Casserole

I have never, ever used phyllo dough before (that I remember), so this would be a first.  I had some in my freezer but threw it out when it turned about 10 years old.  😉 It was half price on sale on this week so I got a new box for $1.99.  When I saw this on Serious Eats, I knew I must make it, though I edited it for my own tastes and technique.  I love using my cast iron pan but I just felt better about making it in my 13" x 9" Le Creuset casserole dish.  I didn't get a chance to get to Costco for the spinach so I paid double.  One pound cost me $8 at my grocery store beside the office.  Anyway, here's what I used:
  • Organic extra virgin olive oil, as needed
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 lb fresh, organic baby spinach
  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced and divided
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 &1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more as needed
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half cream (10% m.f.)
  • 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1/2 lemon, juice squeezed
  • 4 scallions, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped, plus more for garnish
  • Phyllo  dough sheets (14 or 16 - I lost count), thawed, and covered with a damp towel
I used cooking spray on my casserole dish.  I preheat the oven to 375°F.   Mise en place first.  I cut the chicken into pieces and laid them on paper towels in a container, finishing with paper towel. 


I left these in the fridge until needed.  I got everything else ready and had my phyllo dough on the counter coming to room temperature (1 hour from thawed).


I put a little oil in the fry pan with 3 cloves of minced garlic and heated on medium until the garlic sizzled. 


Handful by handful I added and stir-fried the spinach until it was wilted down.


I transferred it to a tea towel, so I could squeeze out as much liquid as possible.  I rolled it up and twisted until the water seeped out. 


Then I moved it to a colander, pressing it again with paper towels and then left it to sit.  I heated the pan again with more oil.  I added the remaining 4 cloves of garlic and stirred until fragrant.  The butter and the chicken went in next.  I browned each side and seasoned with S&P.  I had to drain the liquid/fat our a couple of times. 


When done, I removed and dumped into the casserole dish, spreading out evenly.  More oil into the pan on medium heat again. I mixed in the flour with a whisk and cooked it until it was a roux.  It almost got away from me and turned blonde.  I immediately added the stock and continued to whisk slowly until it was thickened.  I added in the cream.  Next the feta, green onions and dill were added.  I seasoned with S&P again.  When I was happy with the consistency, I squeezed in the lemon juice.  I added the spinach, which I broke up as much as possible. 


I stirred one final time to combine it all. 


I poured it into the casserole dish.  The dish was put on a baking sheet that was covered with foil.  Tasting it did not remind me of spanakopita at this point, but I guess it wasn't really, was it? 


Okay, onto the phyllo sheets.  This is what made me nervous.  I had a tea towel wet down to damp so I could cover the sheets as I worked.  I was going to scrunch two sheets at a time, but I had to brush each with olive oil and then set one on top of the other first.  I took the first sheet to my cutting board and then brushed it.  I laid the second sheet on top and repeated.  I picked both sheets up and scrunched them into a ball like flower and pushed it into the top of the casserole. 


I repeated until the dish was full and covered well, dotting the top with remaining oil.  This was actually much easier than I anticipated.  I won't be afraid any longer...


I put this in the oven for 30 minutes.  It looked beautiful when it came out. 


I let it rest for 15 minutes.  I didn't garnish my son's with dill as he detests it, but I did mine.  We had some leftover Persian saffron rice, so I served his over that.  I ate mine as is.  


The crunch was fantastic!  Loved that shattering sound of the pastry.  The filling was tasty and creamy.  I thought it was a great casserole.  While it wasn't exactly like spanakopita, it gives me a reason to make the real stuff next time.  Very nice Sunday meal.  No complaints at all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment