Wednesday, April 24, 2019

French Lentil Turkey Vegetable Soup

Turkey soups are my absolute favorite to make and really are my specialty.  The homemade broth is always spectacular and I did what is in that link to make it.  This one took 6 hours to make.

My son got a heck of a deal from Costco on Easter Monday.  They had fresh turkeys priced to go, so he came home with a 12 lb bird for $11!  I made the broth last night and skimmed the fat off today.   I used soup spoon and scraped till it was all off.



What I used:
  • 1 cup organic French lentils, rinsed in a strainer
  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 3 wild carrots, sliced into rounds
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 large zucchini, sliced in rounds and quartered
  • 4 stalks baby bok choy rinsed well, stems removed and chopped in large pieces
  • 200 grams cremini mushrooms, halved and sliced
  • 10 cups of homemade turkey stock
  • 3 cups of cooked turkey, chopped in bite size pieces
  • 1 stalk of fresh rosemary, stripped from stem and chopped finely
  • 4 sprigs of thyme, tied in twine
  • 1/2 cup of fresh Italian parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, chopped and for garnish
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
I chopped and chopped and chopped some more!


I brought the soup to a boil and then a simmer.  Everything went into broth except the parsley, cilantro and bok choy.  It was a full load in there.  I always underestimate the amount of vegetables I use.  I would need the lentils to suck up some broth if I was going to get the bok choy in  I waited about a half hour and then added them into the simmering stock, making sure the lentils were cooked.  I simmered for another 15 minutes and checked the seasoning.  I removed the thyme bundle.    It was done.



Tasting the broth was soooooo gooooood.  Seriously fantastic.  Zucchini was a little mushy, but I figured that would happen so it wasn't unexpected.  Very happy with the outcome.  YUM!  To me making soup is like an empty canvas with so many possibilities...it's always nice when it turns out good, as I make different every time.  Great broth is the key.


No comments:

Post a Comment