Friday, April 5, 2019

Italian Sub Sandwich


When I get something in my head to eat, I can't let it go...  I can often delay it, but it won't leave my brain until I indulge.  This was it today. 

I have avoided bread and processed meats forever now, but today was going to change.  I had this recipe in my mind from Chef Curtis Stone and based mine on that.  I edited the ingredients to what I used.  I wanted to buy iceberg lettuce but the grocery store I was at today was selling it for $5 a head, and it was tiny and not even organic for that price.  I would have used tomatoes too, but forgot to buy them.  😢 I served these sandwiches with kale Caesar salad.

For the Pickled Hot Cherry Pepper Spread:
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 garlic clove
  • ½ cup pickled hot cherry peppers

For the Red Wine Vinaigrette:
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon freeze-dried Italian seasoning (basil, oregano, garlic, red onion, red pepper, marjoram, rosemary, sage)
  • ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Italian Sandwiches (2):
  • 1 ciabatta bun (my son chose roasted garlic cheddar bread instead)
  • 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional - did not use for my son)
  • Pickled cherry pepper spread
  • Red onion slices, to taste
  • Genoa salami slices, to taste
  • Hot capocollo slices, to taste
  • Mortadella slices, to taste
  • Old fashioned ham slices, to taste
  • Provolone cheese slices, to taste
  • Pickled pepperoncini peppers, to taste
  • 3 leaves Romaine lettuce, ends trimmed off and shredded
  • ½ cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
  • 4 tablespoons red wine vinaigrette
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

I sliced half a small red onion as thinly as I could - paper thin I was aiming for.  I soaked them in water and dash of vinegar.  I covered with wrap and put in the fridge.


I made the cherry pepper spread next.  I used my hand immersion blender to mix it all up.  Whew - the smell that wafted up got caught in my throat and made me cough.  They are hot - but a nice heat indeed!  I covered and put in the fridge.   I made the vinaigrette next.  Just shook it up in a small empty jar and set it aside.  When it was time to assemble, I dry toasted the breads first.  I put a layer of vinaigrette on both sides of all breads.   I put mayo on my bun, both sides.  I put the cherry spread on one half next for both of us.


I shingled the meats, one by one.  I topped with lettuce (which I tossed with some vinaigrette), pepperoncini, parsley, S&P and onions.  I finished with the provolone cheese.  I pushed the top slices of bread on and cut in halves.  I served with the salad.  Above was my son's.  Below is mine.


This was everything I've been dreaming about and more.  I've been drooling over this recipe for over a year now!  The hot pepper spread was key, a heat flavor bomb.  The vinaigrette was the best - Italian seasoning was spot on.  The crunch of the lettuce, pepperoncini and onions, brightness of parsley and finally the sharp cheese tied it all together.  FANTASTIC!!!  The salad was good too, but was off in the far, far distance playing second fiddle...this Italian sandwich stole the show!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment