Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Blueberry Crisp

I decided to stay away from flour, so the planned pie I was going to make changed to a crisp.  I don't know what the difference is between crisp, cobbler, crumble and whatever else they're called.  Frankly I don't even care enough to google it either.  I just know it's a lot easier to make than a pie.  😊  The heatwave cooled today, so I could use the oven.  I followed this recipe by the Neelys as my guideline.

  • 2 lbs blueberries, rinsed


  • 1 & 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
  • Pinch of kosher salt
_________________________

  • 1/2 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
  • 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg, on a microplane
  • 1 cup crushed pecans, mallet with a ziploc
  • 1/2 stick room temperature unsalted butter
  • Vanilla ice cream
I preheated the oven to 375°F.  I mixed the blueberries, cornstarch, sugar. almond extract and salt in a bowl.


I greased a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.  I poured in the berries.


In another bowl I mixed the  flour, oats, brown and white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans.  I added the butter and used my pastry blender to  cut the butter into small pieces until it looked crumbly.


I sprinkled the mixture over the top, spread it evenly and put it into the oven for 45 minutes.


I let it rest for 15 minutes.


I served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.


My son loves cobblers.  I asked him how as I never made them when he was young, but he told me it was boy scouts camp.  He says when he has them now it reminds him of those days.  We talked about how good food tastes when you're camping as a kid.  Anyway, he adored this dessert, again...he remarked that he knew what he was having for breakfast.  

                  No comments:

                  Post a Comment