Monday, July 1, 2019

Brined BBQ Pork Chops, Grilled Cherry Tomatoes and Nugget Potatoes

Happy 152nd  Birthday 🍁 Canada!  My son and I were both home today so enjoyed a nice day off with each other.  I found these beautiful one inch thick centre cut chops.  They were cheap too, 2 for under $6.  So, I did a brine and let them sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.


For the brine,  I used 1/4 cup of kosher salt, 4 cups of water, a handful of peppercorns, 2 cloves of smashed garlic, 1 bay leaf,  2 tablespoons organic unrefined coconut sugar, 1 chile de arbol pod and a few sprigs of fresh thyme.  I boiled this just for a minute to combine the flavors and then let it cool.


When it was, I poured in a large Ziploc over the chops.  I sealed the bag and put it in the fridge.


When it was time to grill, I rinsed the chops and patted them dry with paper towels.  I lightly brushed olive oil over them and seasoned with kosher salt (light on the salt) and fresh cracked pepper.  I was shooting for the thermometer read 145ºF.




The nuggets I did in a foil pack, sliced thin with some onion, unsalted pats of butter and S&P.  I sealed it up and put this on as soon as the BBQ was preheated.


The tomatoes I drizzled with Extra virgin olive oil and S&P.  I was very careful with them as I hoped they wouldn't fall off the vine.  I put them on a grill rack for vegetables on the top grill.  These went on last, with about 10 - 15 minutes left of cook time.


Everything came off together and then it was time to plate.  I garnished with fresh parsley.


This was soooooo delicious!  The brine was perfect and that thick chop was tender and moist, even though I cooked it to 150ºF by mistake.  The taters were crisp and soft and the tomatoes were sweet and blistered.  Below was my son's with less tomatoes and BBQ sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment