Monday, July 8, 2019

Grilled Panzanella Salad

I've always wanted to make this salad, but never have.  Grilling everything seemed what I wanted to do this evening, though by the time I got home from work I was less enthusiastic with my idea...  I found a good Rustic Ciabatta by Terra Breads which I love.  Everything else came from what looked fresh and tasty in the produce aisles today.

  • 2 bell peppers, cleaned and quartered
  • 1 Walla Walla onion, cut in rings, then bite size
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 loaf rustic ciabatta bread, halved lengthwise then cubed
  • 2 garlic cloves, one minced for dressing, one for rubbing on toasted bread
  • 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise, then sliced
  • 1 & 1/2 pints organic sugar plum tomatoes
  • 24 Shishito peppers, halved crosswise and stems removed
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Handful of fresh organic chives, snipped into small pieces 
  • Fresh Thai basil, chiffonade cut, to taste
I made the dressing first.  In a bowl I whisked the oil, vinegar, mustard, S&P and chives.  I set it aside.


I brushed some olive oil on the bread (both sides) and all the vegetables going to the grill.  I decided skewers may be the way to go for most of this.  I seasoned all with S&P.




Then it was off the BBQ.  I did everything in turns and brought it inside when it was charred and grilled.  This took a while, but I was patient and made sure every veg was charred perfectly.  I didn't take any pictures either, as I was very busy with this.  With the bread, I rubbed a clove of garlic over it when toasted for extra flavor.



I chopped everything in bite size pieces and then mixed it all with the dressing.  I served.


I am not going to lie, this was time consuming but soooo worth it.  It was freakin' fabulous!!!  Every taste was a treasure.  Loved the shishitos in it.  The bell peppers became super sweet with the grilling.  The dressing and basil were perfect.  The tomatoes that burst added to the flavor, and that bread - so good and the garlic came through.  This was a full meal deal and I loved it.


EDIT: July 9, 2019:

If possible, this was even better the next day!!!  The flavors totally melded and leftovers were welcome for a change.  😋

No comments:

Post a Comment