Monday, June 8, 2020

Deviled Beef Short Ribs

I saw this being made on a PBS cooking show called "Cook's Country".  Seeing as I love short ribs, I thought this recipe was interesting, and decided to give it a go.  It was my different than my usual method  of making them too.   I used one Serrano pepper instead of the jalapeno.  I served with Anson Mills stone-ground grits and made them cheesy.  I also sauteed a "Farmer's Market" mix of mushrooms.  I prepped this Saturday for dinner Sunday.  I made the mustard sauce first and then proceeded to do the ribs. I drained the fat, let the ribs cool and then moved them to the fridge.  I made the panko crust last.  The next day I warmed the ribs in the oven and then followed the saucing steps.  What I used:

  • 2/3 cup yellow mustard
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1 Serrano pepper, roughly chopped
  • 4 teaspoons Colman's dry mustard
  • Grated lemon zest plus half lemon juiced
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 5 lbs bone in English style short ribs
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 & 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

Adjust oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 325°F.  Combine yellow mustard, orange juice, sugar, Serrano, dry mustard lemon juice, and 2 tsp pepper in a food processor and process until smooth (abut 30 seconds) set aside (mustard mixture can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.) 


Combine 1 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp pepper and cayenne in a bowl.  Sprinkle ribs all over with spice mixture.


Arrange ribs, meat side down in a 13" by 9" inch baking dish.


Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and roast until meat is nearly tender, (about 3 hours).



Meanwhile, melt butter in 12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Add panko and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Off heat, stir in parsley and lemon zest and transfer to a shallow dish.


Remove baking dish from oven and increase oven temp to 425°F.  Transfer ribs to plate. Discard rendered fat and juices from dish. brush meat (not bone) all over with one-fourth of mustard sauce and return ribs to dish, meat side up. roast uncovered until beginning to brown (about 10 minutes).


Brush meat again with one third of remaining mustard sauce and continue to roast until well browned and completely tender (10-15 minutes longer).


Brush meat once more with half of remaining mustard sauce and roll in panko mixture, taking care to entirely coat meat. Serve, passing remaining mustard sauce separately.



The mustard sauce was really good with the beef, it helped cut the richness of it.  The crunch was nice on the crumb crust.  An enjoyable rib. 

No comments:

Post a Comment