Sunday, June 7, 2020

Instant Pot: Bacon Cheese Fried Grits

Tomorrow's dinner will be short ribs.  I decided to do most prep work today.  I thought rather than standing over my stove for an hour tomorrow, I'd make the grits today and then fry them up when dinner was ready.


I am particular with grits and love Anson Mills stone-ground.  We can't get them here in Canada, but I have a nice supply in my freezer.   I chose the white grits today.  I decided to try these in the "Instant Pot" pressure cooker and then pour them into a greased loaf pan so I could cut slices to fry tomorrow.  What I used:


  • 6 strips of cooked nitrate-free bacon, fat reserved and crumbled/sliced
  • 1 cup Antebellum Medium White Quick Grits
  • 4 cups organic low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup 2% milk
  • 2 cups old aged cheddar cheese, grated
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
  • Fresh cracked black pepper and kosher salt, to taste

For the instant-pot, I saw that most online recipes said to use high pressure for 10 minutes, natural release for 15 and then open.  So, that was my plan.


I hit the saute button first and used 2 tablespoons butter and bacon grease in the pot.  I stir-fried the grits, added the liquids, stirred again and sealed up.


When I released the steam, I hit the saute button again.  I added in the remaining butter, crumbled bacon, S&P and cheese.


I stirred using a whisk.


It was loose, but I was sure it would thicken up in the fridge so I wasn't too worried about it.


I poured into the loaf pan.  Covered and refrigerated it.  Of course I had to taste test this after it set, so I cut off a slice and fried it up in butter in a non-stick pan.


I liked the idea of frying but the grits weren't as firm as I would have liked.  I thought about just baking them in the loaf pan to serve with dinner instead (easier and no fuss too).  It was tasty fried though and with a splash of Cholulu hot sauce, it zipped it right up.  The bacon and cheese were very present in taste.  Not my usual grits, that's for sure.  Not sure I love it in the instant-pot, but it was pretty easy...It was good for breakfast too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment