Friday, June 26, 2020

Air Fryer: Homemade Shake 'N Bake Chicken Thighs

I made homemade "Shake 'N Bake" seasoning a while ago and saw it in the freezer.  (I don't remember how I made it but do remember it was good.  I know there was "Cheez-It" crackers in it).  I decided to try "fried chicken" with it in the Air Fryer.  This was an experiment... 



I marinated the thighs in a Ziploc with buttermilk, hot sauce, Old Bay seasoning and S&P for 4 hours in the fridge.  Then I shook it off and coated it with the "shake 'n bake". 


I used cooking spray over the pieces to adhere it.  I pre-heated the Air-Fryer at 390°F for 3 minutes first, then put an even layer of chicken, skin side down into the basket. 


I set that for 12 minutes, flipped and did another 10 minutes. 


I did these in two batches of four, cleaning the air fryer basket before proceeding to the next round.  I did not want burnt bits ruining the flavor.  You cannot layer them over top each other. 


When serving, I doused mine in Cholula hot sauce.  In hindsight, the coating did not work.  It was a bit burned, though everything tasted delicious anyway.  Chicken thighs are very forgiving.  These were still tender and full of flavor.  Next time I'd lose that "shake n bake" and just use the buttermilk soak.  I was lazy today and didn't "google" or read anything about how to make it, just did what I wanted to do... live and learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment