Monday, June 22, 2020

French Toast Roll Ups

I saw this on pandemic food t.v.  I liked the idea so decided to make these for my son who I knew would really enjoy them.  I make him French toast often so this was a nice spin on that.  I bought this buttermilk honey bread from a local bakery and it was really soft, so I thought it would be perfect.  I also bought some Canadian spreadable cream cheese that is a specialty for Montreal bagels.

The only thing was there was only him, so I could only make 4 rolls.  I decided to make 2 with strawberries and fancy cream cheese, 1 with cream cheese and blueberries and 1 peanut butter and jam.  You could also do ham and cheese too, whatever you like, really.


I cut the crusts off 4 slices of bread and rolled them out till they were flat.  I beat 1 large free range egg with about 1/4 cup of milk.  I added a pinch of kosher salt, a dash of vanilla and sprinkle of cinnamon.  I mixed well with a whisk.


For assembly I put the spread covering the entire piece of bread and then the fruit /jam on the bottom in an even one inch layer.


Then I rolled...as above, the jam squirted out the ends.  Less is better.  😉


When finished I dipped them till well coated in the egg mixture.


I had a non-stick skillet heating over medium heat.  I added a couple of tablespoons of unsalted butter and went to browning the rolls (all 4 sides).


When done, I plated sprinkling icing sugar to coat and served with a ramekin of warm pure maple syrup for dipping.  I also gave him a ramekin of fresh fruit with a dollop of whip cream.


Pretty, isn't it?  He LOVED this brunch.  He was silent except for an occasional "Mmmm" I heard once in a while.  He remarked after that the PB&J was his favorite.  He could only eat 3, so I ended up trying one of the strawberry rolls.  Very tasty and not too sweet.  This is easy to do and would be great to impress company with as well.  If we ever have company again...  😷  Keep staying safe everyone...




No comments:

Post a Comment