Friday, June 12, 2020

Egg White Veggie Frittata

This was brunch today.  I used what I had in my fridge to make up the ingredients.

  • 10 baby yellow potatoes, boiled and then thinly sliced when cool
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 5 organic mini-bell peppers, cleaned and sliced
  • 1 tomato, seeded and diced
  • Handful of organic baby arugula
  • 500 grams carton liquid egg whites
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Sprinkle of crushed red chili flakes
  • Small handful fresh cilantro, chopped coarsely and for garnish
  • 200 grams goat cheese, crumbled
  • 1 cup old cheddar cheese, grated
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed


I boiled and sliced the potatoes the night before so I wouldn't have to bother with it in the morning, or er um, afternoon as it was.


I preheated the oven to 350°F.  I sauteed the onion and bell pepper in a non-stick ovenproof skillet until soft.


The potatoes went in next and I continued to cook until lightly browned.


I turned off the heat and added in the egg whites, tomato, arugula, cilantro S&P, crushed chili and cheeses.


This went into the oven until set, about a half hour.  


I let rest 5 minutes, made toast and served with hot sauce on the side.


Wow, this was mighty fine.  All the flavors went so well together.  The potatoes were buttery and made the meal feel substantial.  The goat cheese and arugula gave nice peppery and sharp tangy contrast to everything else.  And the star was that fresh cilantro.  Mmmmm.  So good on this rainy day.



No comments:

Post a Comment