Monday, April 5, 2021

Easter Impossible Pie: Dark Chocolate with a Coconut Twist

My neighbor friend sent me this recipe and a picture of how hers turned out suggesting I give it a try.  This seemed right in my son's wheelhouse, so I made it for Easter dessert this year.  Since I like her pie dish so much, I'll show hers, and I'm always so happy when friends send me their food pics.   

 

What I used:

  • 60g dark chocolate 70% cacao
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for pie dish
  • 2 cups 2% milk
  • 4 large free-range eggs
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons "Fry's" cocoa powder, sifted
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F.  Grease a pie dish with a generous coating of unsalted butter. 


Toast the shredded coconut, in the oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes.  Stir every couple of minutes. Keep an eye on it, as coconut can burn in a flash.


Melt the dark chocolate with the butter in a saucepan and then combine into the milk, this will make wispy bits of chocolate, but they will disperse into the batter as you go.


Add all the other ingredients, one by one, using an immersion blender until combined.  Add the toasted coconut and give one last blitz.


Pour into greased pie dish and carefully transfer the very full dish to the oven.  You need steady hands!  


Bake for about 35 minutes until gently puffed up in a doughnut shape at the edges, yet still slightly jiggly in the center.



Cool to just warm, allowing the pie to set all the way through, before slicing into wedges. Carefully run a knife around the outside of the crust, along the dish, and you should be able to slip a spatula in and slide out a piece carefully.  Top with vanilla ice cream or whip cream, if desired.  We did both!  


My son loved this.  I had a bite and it was very tasty with great chocolate and coconut notes.  Loved the custardy thing going on.  I have to be honest though, this was my 2nd try.  I over-baked the first one and it came out like a cake with no crust and no custard.  It was inedible and I had to toss it.  The problem was the recipe said to look for puffy edges and sunken middle like a donut, but both times I never got that.  I will just look at the edges and make sure it's jiggly going forward.  I could show you a picture of that disastrous pie, but instead I'll show you the lovely smelling and beautiful daffodils my neighbor friend dropped off to me for my Easter table.  


Hope everyone had a great Covid Easter, our 2nd one now, pretty much under lockdown again...I know things come in threes but it would be so nice if Covid Easter dinner did not... 🤞



No comments:

Post a Comment