Sunday, April 25, 2021

Seafood Chorizo Stew

This was made with the idea of clean up and get out ingredients that needed to go.  Soup or Stew?  You choose.  I doubt I'll ever make it again, but thought I'd write it up, because I'm "covid" bored.  It was a lousy rainy day and soup seemed good.  What I used for it sounded weird even to myself.  A while back I ordered this poke kit.  It turned out, I don't love Albacore tuna for poke, I prefer Ahi.  As I have 2 bags of it left, I tried to figure out what to do with it.  I made some ceviche and it was okay... 

  • 1 lb wild albacore tuna, frozen
  • 300 grams bay scallops, frozen
  • 4 single portions wild mahi mahi filets, frozen
  • 300 grams Merida Chorizo Sausage, halved and sliced in half moons
  • 1 large russet potato, peeled and cut into bite size pieces 
  • 2 cups halibut stock
  • 2 cups Bianco Dinapoli crushed tomatoes
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced with innards & seeds
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 2 carrots with tops, sliced
  • 1/2 cup of dry white wine
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Fresh herb bundle of dill, tarragon, parsley and basil, tied with twine
  • 1 small bunch organic Lacinato kale, stems removed, washed and sliced thinly
  • 1 orange, squeezed and zested
  • Fresh cilantro, to taste and for garnish
  • Freshly cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • 1/2 tablespoon "Old Bay" seasoning
  • Lime wedges, for serving

In a Dutch oven, I sautéed the onion, celery, carrot, jalapeno, garlic and chorizo in a swirl of olive oil.  


When sweated out and the chorizo fat rendered, I added in the potatoes then added in the wine and deglazed.  


I added the bay leaf, herbs, tomatoes, halibut stock, and seasoning with S&P. 



I brought to a boil, covered and simmered for 20 minutes until the potatoes were cooked.  


I added all the frozen fish in and the kale.  It took a while to come to boil again but when it did I turned it right down and simmered covered until cooked.  I removed herbs and bay leaf.  I stirred in some cilantro, zest and orange juice.  Final check on the seasoning and then I served.  I garnished with more cilantro and a lime wedge.


Well, I had very low expectations, but wow, maybe we will make this again.  Broth was bang-on good.  Mildly spicy and loaded in the flavor department, especially that chorizo.  Getting those bites was like finding treasure.  All the fish/seafood was cooked well and not rubbery.  I personally loved the orange notes in this.  Not too shabby at all... And I didn't mind the tuna which I really thought I might, so bonus.  It was good in this.   And those canned tomatoes are really the best I've used.  They will improve a dish tenfold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment