Friday, April 9, 2021

Swedish Ham

I ordered a "Swedish Ham" ( raw, mildly salted and cured, boneless, skin-on ham) from my favorite local sausage purveyor.  They always advertise it for "occasion" meals.  They weren't delivering it for Easter week but said I could get it frozen the week after for delivery, so I did.  I had to try it as I've never even heard of it before I saw it on their site.  I got a half ham for $32 which was about 2.2 kg.  They provided cooking instructions in the bag:


I went for the slow roast...so about 3 and a half hours, I guessed.  I did it on a rack of "Pink Lady" apples (2).  

I had the ham skin side up, but I must admit, I was tempted to try it skin side down on a baking sheet... maybe next time?  I read other reviews saying it should rest an hour covered in foil as well, so I popped this in about noonish.  

I rinsed the ham and then patted it dry with paper towels.  I seasoned with kosher salt & freshly cracked pepper.  

I used a glaze, basically looking through my cupboards and fridge for what seemed appropriate.  I had this Madagascar bourbon vanilla quince sauce that I ordered at Christmas for a charcuterie board that never came to be.  So I mixed that with some grainy Dijon mustard, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.  I rubbed the skin and ham down.  I laid some fresh rosemary and thyme stems over and that was it.  

My ham ended up taking 3:50 to come to correct temperature.  At that time, I set the broiler to high.  I removed the herb stems on top and put some brown sugar, maple syrup, mustard glaze over the fat.  I wanted a nice glaze on the top and let it go for 15 more minutes.  


Then I tented it in foil and set the timer for an hour.  I baked the cornbread and heated the beans to coincide with the timer.  

I served this with baked beans, (not sweet) cornbread in a cast iron pan, and ham gravy that I made with the drippings and apples that I mashed up.  I drizzled honey over the cornbread.


So...best ham ever?  Well, I think so!  It was not salty and was cooked to perfection, thanks to my meat thermometer, it never lets me down.  ALL grocery store hams make me cringe with the sodium in them, which is why I never partake.  I can for sure say that this will go on my "occasion" menu, once a year.  Fantastic!  And all sides with this were amazing from the gravy to the cornbread.    😋  The only thing that would have made this dinner better is eating it with Alexander Skarsgård and drinking Aquavit...

No comments:

Post a Comment