Thursday, August 11, 2016

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

So, I was going away for the weekend and being the nice mom I am, I always make a casserole for my son - to start him off for meals while I'm away.  I saw this on the past weekend and decided to make it and tailor it a little to make it a complete meal.  By doing so, I added some (1/3 of bag) "gnocchi sardi" pasta which looked like baby gnocchi noodles and some coarsely chopped broccoli crowns.



I made a half version of this too as I was just making it for a couple of servings for him.  The recipe calls for Monterey Jack and Swiss, I just used Emmentaler Swiss from Costco.

I started by poaching the chicken in broth.  I brought it to a boil, covered it and left it barely a simmer for 10 minutes per side.


I let it cool when done and kept the broth for the sauce.

I chopped the broccoli crown into bite size pieces.  I chopped the chicken the same way.  I grated the cheese and set all of them aside.

I did the ham per the recipe instructions, put it in the microwave on paper towels for a couple of minutes, patted it dry and then diced it small.


I think this was a good idea (the nuke part) as there was a lot of liquid that seeped out...

Lastly, I made the cheese sauce and cooked the pasta.  I preheated the oven to 350°F and sprayed my pan with "Pam".  I dumped all the ingredients in then stirred in the sauce.


I topped with more cheese and then Panko (no butter though, even though the recipe called for it) and then into the oven it went.


I cooked it for about 40 minutes.  I had to broil it to brown it.  (I think that's just my weird oven - it seems to like to do things at its own pace - sometimes correctly and other times not)...


I let it rest for half an hour when it came out.  I plated his two meals (it actually turned out to be four), cooled them until really cool, then wrapped them up in saran on a plates and put them in the fridge.  In the meantime, I had a taste.  It was reminiscent of the recipe title...it was pretty good.  The broccoli wasn't soggy which was what I wanted and the cayenne pepper was just right.


Anyway, I wasn't eating it so I wasn't complaining.  It wasn't too much work, though it sure seemed like a lot when I had so many other things to do this evening, not to mention I burned the top of my hand while putting the pan in the oven.  :(  Just another cooking scar to add to the collection...  :D


No comments:

Post a Comment