Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Roasted Tomato, Chick Pea, Red Onion Salad

I had these beautiful mini San Marzano tomatoes in the fridge that looked like grape tomatoes.


Unfortunately, they didn't taste as splendid as San Marzano do though.  I decided to roast them.  With that I got an idea for a salad.  I used below for roasting in the oven (it was cool outside and rainy today):
  • 2 bags (10 oz each) of San Marzano tomatoes (halved)
  • 1 head of garlic (whole but top trimmed off, drizzled with olive oil and wrapped in foil)
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 28 oz can of chick peas, rinsed and dried
I put the garlic in, then got a baking sheet and lined it with parchment.  I tossed the tomatoes, onions and chick peas in a little olive oil, S&P and chili flakes.  Then I dumped them onto the parchment.


I baked in a 400°F oven for about an hour.  I shook/tossed them half way.

I made a lemon vinaigrette for the salad.  Basically I just used some extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, white wine vinegar, lemon zest, Dijon mustard, squirt of honey, a pinch of Herbes de Provence and a clove of minced garlic.  I put this in a jar and shook it up adding some kosher salt and cracked pepper at the end.


When everything was done and cooled down, I assembled the salad.



I put a bag of Rainbow salad (it's like a slaw of pre-made, cauliflower, broccoli, red cabbage and carrots) in a bowl and added all the veggies.  I squeezed the garlic out and tossed it all with the vinaigrette.  I crumbled blue cheese and tossed it again gingerly, making sure to not break the cheese up too much and go unnoticed.

I served this with fresh, wild pan-fried sockeye salmon fillets, which I also drizzled with a little bit of the dressing.  The salad was such a pleasant surprise.  So pretty to look at and really tasty!  The textural changes in the mouth were very appealing with all the different flavor varieties in each bite.  The lemon vinaigrette made it sing - probably because of the zest in it.  That being said, I overcooked the salmon by a minute or two.  It wasn't dry, but it was on the verge...  The salad was definitely the star of the show this evening.

1 comment: