Monday, August 1, 2016

Spicy Cilantro Chicken, Spam & Shrimp Tacos with Guacamole

I had made some homemade guacamole and saw that I had some great wild Argentinian red shrimp in the freezer (31 - 40 count) so decided to make tacos.  I saw a couple of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts beside the shrimp so decided to use those up too.  I thawed them the night before.  I had been craving SPAM, so had a couple of fried slices for breakfast.  I decided to cube it in small dice and throw it in with the rest of the ingredients tonight.  I based my recipe loosely on this one.  Easy and straightforward.  I added some fresh corn off the cob, chili powder and cumin too.

I diced my chicken in cubes and chopped my cilantro.  The shrimp were already cleaned and peeled so I just took the tails off and dried them with paper towels.


I sliced the corn off the cob.  I chopped my garlic and lettuce and grated my cheese.

I started by sauteing the garlic in avocado oil.  I added in the spices and the Sambal Oelek.  I tossed in the chicken, then the Spam pieces.  Lastly, I added the corn and shrimp along with the cilantro and freshly cracked pepper.  I added no salt as the Spam was salty enough.


I heated corn tortillas in a small fry pan until pliable, which was about 30 seconds per side.


I am very partial to corn tortillas, I never use flour ones anymore.  Well, I do use flour ones for burritos but I rarely eat or make those.  I stuffed them with my taco filling, added guacamole, shredded iceberg lettuce and grated Monterey Jack cheese.  I garnished with a lime wedge.


I didn't pose these well for a picture as I was starving by the time I made dinner.  I didn't eat until 8pm.  I didn't even take pictures of the guacamole and you can't see it in the taco.  I filled my two tacos really full too, I needed a fork for everything that fell out.  They were delish.  The corn gave an especially nice crunch and burst of sweetness which offset the spice, and I used quite a bit of Sambal.


No comments:

Post a Comment