Friday, August 5, 2016

Roast Beef Hash with Mock Cauliflower "Potatoes"

I made a roast and had LOTS of leftovers.  My son already had beef dips the night after but it didn't even make a dent, nor did using it with lunches either (I even brought someone lunch too).  I decided to make a hash for both of us.  I remember making hash browns out of cauliflower when I was doing "Atkins" years back, so I used that in place of potatoes.  My son wasn't big on the "cauliflower" thingy but I was hoping to change his mind.  My ingredients:

  • 1 head of cauliflower, grated (I did mine in a food processor so it was more pulverized than grated)
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 1 red pepper, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 2 stalks of local Chilliwack corn, sliced off cob (this is my favorite summer time local food!)
  • 1 jalapeno, diced (I used the seeds)
  • 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • Leftover roast beef gravy
  • 2 - 3 cups roast beef, shredded (I did it in the food processor)
  • 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt to taste
  • Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning to taste
I started with all the slice & dice prep work first.  I actually did the food processor stuff the night before (below) so I had less preparation tonight.



I used a big non-stick frying pan for this because I didn't want the veggies to steam.


I started by sauteing everything but the cauliflower and beef first.  I used extra virgin olive oil.  In fact, the beef and gravy would be the last to go in.  I was really hoping to achieve a crust on the hash before I put in the beef and gravy.


I sauteed until the mushrooms were almost cooked then threw in the cauliflower.  This is what I wanted crispy and browned so I didn't stir often...I drizzled a little more olive oil in over top - in total I probably used half a cup or so.


It took about a half hour at med-high heat and it did crisp and brown.

I added in the roast beast and gravy.  I brought this to a simmer and turned to low heat for about 20 minutes.


Then I topped with the cheese until melted.


I made my son two fried eggs over easy to top his and a couple of toasted biscuits that I bought at the bakery.  I just ate mine as is, though I added a couple of shakes of "Frank's Red Hot" and Worcestershire  sauce.


So, I thought it was really good but my son said he did miss the potatoes.  He finished it all though and told me it was still delicious.  I found there was lots of good tastes without taters and the textures were satisfying.  Oh well, I tried and I appreciate that he eats everything I make...   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment