Monday, May 24, 2021

Chorizo Clam Chowder

I had chorizo in the fridge and frozen clams in the shell in my freezer.  I came up with chowder on this wet, dreary, gray day.  It was even more dismal with a binge watch of "The Handmaid's Tale".  "Praise Be"...  😉

  • Dry cured Iberian Belotta pork chorizo, casing removed, small dice, (I used about half the ring)
  • 800 grams frozen, cleaned, whole clams
  • 2 large russet potatoes, peeled, cubed bite size
  • 1 onion, diced
  • Crushed red chili flakes, to taste
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 stalks of celery and leaves, sliced
  • Few sprigs organic thyme, parsley, tarragon, dill, tied in twine
  • 1 large freshly dried bay leaf
  • 1 cup dry white wine
  • 3 cups of "Better than Bouillon" organic, low-sodium chicken stock
  • 354 ml can of evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • Splash of red wine vinegar, to finish soup
  • Fresh Italian parsley, for garnish
  • Saltine crackers, for serving


I splashed some olive oil in a Dutch oven and in went the onion, garlic, chilies, chorizo and celery.  I stirred until softened and then added the butter.  The flour went in next and I stirred a few minutes until it was cooked out.  The wine followed  and I deglazed.  


The broth was next and I put in the potatoes, herb bundle, bay leaf and milk.  I seasoned with S&P and brought to a boil.  I covered and simmered until the potatoes were done, about 30 minutes.  


I added in the clams next and brought back to a boil, they opened pretty much after hitting the hot broth.  I removed the herbs and bay leaf, seasoned with more S&P and the vinegar.  One final stir and it was time to serve with the crackers and a sprinkle of fresh parsley.  


So it was yummo-licious.  Really flavorful broth, and everything worked well together in perfect harmony.  A great choice for a day like this indeed - comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment