Monday, May 17, 2021

Spicy Shakshuka With Feta Cheese (Eggs in Purgatory)

I've always wanted to make shakshuka. I've seen it on food t.v. for years now.  The opportunity presented itself to me in an easy manner.  We had lamb shanks last night for dinner and I had all this tomatoey gravy leftover and so it became shakshuka sauce today with a couple of edits.  My sauce had herbs, onion, garlic, carrots and "Bianco DiNapoli" crushed tomatoes.  I guessed there was about 2 or 3 cups there.  To make it compliant for this dish, I added:

  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced with stems/seeds intact
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
  • Fresh organic cilantro, chopped coarsely for sauce and garnish, to taste
  • 4 large organic eggs, cracked into ramekins first
  • Rustic bread, toasted and rubbed with garlic for serving
  • Spicy Italian sausages (served as a side for this dish, optional)


I got a skillet and with a swirl of olive oil, sautéed the jalapeno and bell pepper until soft.  


I added in last night's sauce, the spices, feta and a sprinkle of cilantro and let this simmer until heated through and hot.  First taste told me it was definitely spicy!  🌶 


I tried to make an indent in the sauce surface and then slid the eggs in from the ramekin.  Yes I broke one, don't judge me.  😏


I seasoned with S&P.  I covered the skillet with a lid to try and cook the eggs on top.  I still wanted soft yolk but I did want the whites done.  I toasted the bread while this was going on.  I served garnished with cilantro though I forgot it for the first pic below.  I had already served it and had to run over and garnish it.


Below, my eggs are buried but do have the garnish.  My eggs also turned hard while I was snapping pictures.  Figures, lol.  We thought it was flavorful and spicy.  I can't judge fairly because I wanted runny eggs.  I did enjoy scooping the sauce onto the garlic bread though.




No comments:

Post a Comment