Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes

A friend sent me this recipe and said it's a tried & true staple in her household on regular rotation, so of course I had to try it.  I haven't had much luck with lemon potatoes so far in my cooking journey so I was ready to give it another go.  The only tweaking she said was to add the lemon zest.  I would do that anyway, as I can't waste zest off any citrus...  I watched the video too and he said this is one time to use dried spices.  I'm glad I watched because I was all ready to switch to fresh herbs.  

  • 4 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
  • ½ cup fresh lemon juice, I used 4 lemons and zest
  • ½ cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 russet potatoes, peeled, halved and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
  • ⅔ cup "Better than Bouillon" organic low-sodium chicken broth, plus splash to deglaze pan
  • chopped fresh organic Italian parsley, for garnish


I tossed all the ingredients except broth and garnish in a large Ziploc bag.  


I put in the fridge to marinate for an hour.  I would have done longer but didn't think about it until it was almost time for dinner.  I preheated the oven to 425°F.  I got a large roasting pan and coated it in olive oil.  I placed the chicken in skin side up.  I nestled the potatoes in-between the chicken pieces then poured the marinade over top.  I poured the broth in down the side.  


This went into the oven and everything was flipped over completely every 20 minutes.  I kept the skin on the top as I hoped it would crisp.  An hour later it was done.  


I removed the chicken and turned the broiler to high.  The potatoes were tossed once more and put under to brown.  I used the lower rack so it took about 15 minutes.  


I served garnished with parsley and juices from the pan.  It would have been better to scrape the pan down and make a quick sauce (I will use white wine next time and deglaze the pan).  However, it was late and we were starving so I didn't bother with it.  I definitely will next time.


Well, I can see why this is in her dinner rotation, it was excellent!  So lemony, garlicky and bursting with flavor.  This will become a part of our regular din-din as well.  Big huge thumbs up!  👍  Highly recommended and Deeeelicious!  This would be a meal that would impress company with little effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment