Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Salted Honey Buttermilk Pie

One of the best things I've done during the pandemic is join an online "Buy Nothing" community group.  Gifting neighbors feels great and even better is that things I no longer want finds a person who does want it.  The community spirit has given me comfort and hope in people during a time I've been feeling very 'out of sorts'.  One of the lovely people I've "met" (online only so far) unexpectedly gifted me some honey she makes in her own back yard as a hobby!  I wanted to do something with it, and share it with her, hopefully.  I found this recipe which I used for the filling.  "Sweet & Salty" is a nice combo...



  • 4 large organic eggs, beaten
  • 1 & ¼ cup 1% buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted but cooled slightly
  • 3/4 cup room-temperature local honey
  • 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
  • Maldon flaky sea salt, for sprinkling on top

I didn't make my own pie dough this time but if I was going to, I'd definitely do the one in the recipe above for this.  I used refrigerated store bought that I keep around for making quick quiches (timesaver shortcut).  

It had to be blind baked so I laid a piece of parchment paper over top the crust that was cut in a circle of the pie dish.  I used my "baking rice" to fill the crust.  

I popped this into a 450°F oven for 8 minutes, until partially baked and bottom looked dry.  I removed the rice and parchment paper and set aside while I made the filling.  I turned the oven down to 325°F.  

In two separate bowls I whisked.  One had the buttermilk, vanilla and eggs, the other the honey and butter (this was not easy to whisk!).  I poured the honey butter into the other bowl whisking constantly until well combined.  I sprinkled in the flour and whisked again till it was incorporated.

I got a strainer and poured the mixture through it into the pie crust.  My absent-sous chef son held the strainer for me which helped.  I put this in the oven for 55 minutes, until set.  I started checking at 45 minutes and every 5 minutes thereafter.  The house smelled wonderful while this was baking.

I cooled this for an hour and a half before sprinkling the salt over as melted salt is not the idea.  

You want to see the flakes and enjoy the crunch of them.  Maldon salt is so special - truly divine stuff.  I served a warm slice to my taste tester son and put the rest in the fridge, covered in foil.  

The first thing I heard from my son was "Mmmmm".  I had a sliver to taste the results.  The honey was really the star and the salt was the perfect contrast.  The crust was flaky.  Perhaps I sprinkled a tad too much salt?  But delish nonetheless!  And now I'm off to message my neighbor and see if I can repay her thoughtfulness.  😊

No comments:

Post a Comment