Sunday, February 21, 2016

Beef Pot Roast (Stew is what it was...)

I didn't use a recipe for this.  I can't remember ever making pot roast though I've made lots of braised beef recipes, but usually with chuck steaks and not for a long time now.  I bought a cross rib roast on sale for $4.99 a lb.  This roast was just over two pounds so I knew it wouldn't be a long cook.  I had my fingers crossed, but I decided to try it at 325°F for 2 hours in the oven after browning.


As usual, I got all the veggies ready first.  I decided on carrots, celery and potatoes as that was what was in the fridge.  My ingredients today:
  • 4 large carrots sliced in one inch diagonal slices
  • 2 ribs celery, sliced thinly
  • 1 large sweet onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • About 1 lb of mushrooms, sliced and halved
  • 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
  • Bundle of thyme tied with twine
  • Fresh parsley (to taste), chopped finely
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt
  • 1 cup red wine
  • Worcestershire sauce, to taste
  • 3 cups low sodium beef broth
  • About 1/3 cup flour
I seasoned the roast with salt & pepper, onion powder & garlic powder and browned it on all sides in some olive oil in my dutch oven.  


I removed it, set it to rest, then sauteed the onions, mushrooms and garlic and seasoned with S&P.  


Then I added the flour and cooked it out for a couple of minutes.  I added the wine and cooked it down until slightly reduced and the sauce was thickened.  I added the broth, the veggies and herbs and lastly, the roast.  I seasoned with more S&P.


I brought it to a boil, sealed it tight with the lid and put it into the oven.


I must say that this smelled wonderful while in the oven.  My tummy growled waiting for it to be done.  


I opened it up, removed the roast and stirred in the parsley.  It was like a stew...It was very good and felt comforting for a Sunday night dinner.  The roast was tender and veggies cooked perfectly.  The seasoning was also good.  I served a potato roll with it.  Next time I'll buy a bigger roast and do the flour at the end instead of the beginning, just because I couldn't change it from being stew and might have liked the gravy thinner.  There was no disappointment with this dinner, except I didn't set out to make a stew...we'll see what next time brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment