Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Thai Red Curry Chicken & Shrimp Soup with Quinoa

I was inspired by Clinton Kelly from "The Chew" when I saw him make this recipe.  However, I didn't use it and I decided to make soup instead.  I made this with a hodgepodge of what I had in my fridge and what was cheap at the grocery store today.  My recipe was:

  • Half a boneless, skinless chicken breast, (I just bought breast sliced for stir fry)
  • About 10 prawns (cooked - like what you get in a shrimp ring)
  • Cilantro, stems too, chopped finely - a handful
  • 3 Kale leaves (stalks removed and sliced in shreds)
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger (I cheated and used it from a jar)
  • 1 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and grated
  • 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (I got this at T&T market)
  • Snap peas (cut in half)
  • 1/2 cup organic whole grain quinoa
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce (I used Red Boat)
  • 1 can of organic coconut milk (400 ml)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 lime (squeezed)
  • 1 box of chicken broth (946 ml - I used Kirkland organic no salt broth from Costco)
  • Green onions (3) chopped, for garnish
I started by chopping everything, as I always do.


Then I began sauteing the onion, ginger and garlic in avocado oil.  When they were soft, I added in the curry paste and stir fried for about a minute.


I next added all the rest of the ingredients except the prawns and green onions.


I brought it to a boil, covered it and simmered for 15 minutes.  Then I added in the prawns for a minute, served and garnished with the scallions and one more squeeze of lime.


I have to say "wow", this was easy.  I was surprised and impressed how good this tasted.  It was comforting and full of flavor and felt healthy.  I will make this again in some form, though I will add some chili peppers as I didn't find it hot enough.  This time I just added some Sambal Oelek after it was done...

No comments:

Post a Comment