Saturday, February 20, 2016

Buttermilk Ricotta Pancakes

I'm a huge fan of buttermilk and like it for various purposes in the kitchen.  Looking in the fridge, I realized I bought a huge tub of Ricotta cheese from Costco that I totally forgot about.  I decided I better start using it so decided to make my son these pancakes that I found here.  I'm just cutting and pasting her ingredients here as the page is super long and has 2 other recipes on it.  So, for simplicity:

  • 2 eggs, whites separated from the yolks
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour - this is what I used)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • pinch of salt
  • butter, for serving
  • pure maple syrup, for serving
Before I made them, I almost changed my mind several times, it just seemed too much like baking...However, I decided to just do it and give it a try.  I followed the recipe directions exactly.  I beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until there were stiff peaks - about 5 minutes.


In another bowl, I mixed the egg yolks, ricotta, buttermilk and vanilla.  I then added the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and heaping tablespoon of egg whites, mixing it all together.  I folded in the remaining egg whites last.


I had bacon in the oven so I used the grease from that to cook the pancakes in a non-stick skillet.


I always cook my bacon the same way, on parchment paper, in the oven and flip it once at 350°F.

I used more than a 1/3 of a cup batter that her recipe called for.  I just poured it in the pan till I had a size I liked - it was about a cup, the batter was super thick.  I wanted biggish size.  Less work to use all the batter up!  I got four pancakes total.  Each one took about 5 minutes to cook, so it was a long process.


I fried the eggs over easy and put them on top of the pancakes.  We like the yolks running over the pancakes.  I buttered each pancake.  I poured real maple syrup (Costco) over top and served them with thick cut peppered bacon.




This was my son's dinner of a three stack.  I only had one pancake, one egg and a drizzle of maple syrup (yes I had my share of bacon).  His looked better to take a picture of.  He really liked these.  I will admit the pancake tasted gourmet and fancy.  I don't know if I'd make them again for the fact that they were more work than expected and I used a lot (bowls, measuring cups, measuring spoons, spatula, whisk, etc. = UGH) of dishes for this.  I don't love pancakes that much to go through that much work...Like I said, it reminded me of baking and I dislike baking very much.  I'll stick to my one bowl, 5 minute pancake recipe next time.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment