Monday, February 8, 2016

Superbowl: Guacamole, Pimento Cheese, Old Bay Wings & Nachos...

I love to make appies for Super Bowl.  I've watched NFL football for 38 years and have probably never missed a Super Bowl in all that time.  I was debating whether this would be my last one if Denver (my team) won...I have a hard time getting past the thoughts of it being "fixed" now and don't find it enjoyable any more because of that.  But yes, I digress...

My plans today were pretty simple  Wings and Nachos.  I wanted to make Pimento Cheese too and used this recipe here.  The only thing I did different was add a little Worcestershire sauce to it and a lot more hot sauce.  This is good stuff!  I served it on Celery for me and with Crackers for my son.



My guacamole I sort of cheated by using Chef Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill mix.  I used "original".  I added fresh Cilantro, a Jalapeno pepper and fresh squeezed lime (half).  I think his mix is great and I use it because I enjoy the flavor.  Below was 2 packs with 4 avocados (the avocados my son picked up were large).


For my wings, I based my recipe on this one.  I have a great way to make wings.  I bought the wings already split and this package below from Costco made me two full baking sheets.


I put only parchment paper down.  No oil on the paper at all.


Seasoned the wings on both sides.  Today it was with Old Bay and fresh cracked pepper.



Then I stacked them in the fridge with a sheet of wax paper between the two trays and left them until ready to go into the oven.  When it was time, I preheated the oven to 375°F and put them in for about 45 minutes, no turning, just left them as is the whole time.


When they came out, I tossed them (shake them in a container with the lid on) with my favorite hot sauce (however much you like),


some unsalted butter (about a tablespoon), a dash of Worcestershire sauce and some white vinegar (about a tablespoon).


And there you have it, perfect wings done with no oil at all.  I know the picture below isn't that great. The game was on and I just dumped them on the plate.  :)  They tasted great though.


We never even got to the nachos until the next day and there were still lots of leftover wings & pimento cheese.  I made my black bean, hamburger chili the day before Super Bowl so the flavors could develop.


So, again, I laid out parchment paper on a baking sheet and preheated the oven to 350°F.  I layered a sheet of tortilla chips, making sure they were flat.  Then I topped with grated old cheddar and then topped with chili, green onions and fresh cilantro.


Then I repeated the layers.


Then I put them in the oven for 20 minutes.  In the meantime, I made a trio of dips.  My guac from yesterday, salsa (I bought store bought fresh salsa made by "Fresh is Best"), and sour cream.


When they came out of the oven, you can see below that they shrunk down quite a bit.



These nachos were so delicious!!!  A perfect lunch for "Superbowl Monday" a.k.a. "Family Day".  Anyway, it was a day off work and I enjoyed it immensely.  And while I did decide to stop following/watching the NFL, it doesn't mean I won't cook appies next year and watch the Superbowl.  It'll just mean, I won't have a vested interest in the outcome...

No comments:

Post a Comment