Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Instant Pot: Turkey-Stuffed Peppers

Time to try out the old "Instant Pot" again.  I've rarely used it since purchasing.  I think mostly because it doesn't fit on my counter, so taking it down and setting it up is a turn off to me, like the crock pot.  If it could sit in a spacious space - available and ready to use anytime I wanted it, I know I would use it more.  Stuffed peppers seemed good to try since they are hard to do in the oven - getting them soft enough.  I based my recipe on hers, but did my own edits to suit me and it was a little different - my own experiment.  I looked for peppers that had 4 bumps on the bottom (a lot had 3) and would stand up straight.  I found 3 green and 1 yellow.  Green were the cheapest, red the most expensive.  Still expensive, the 4 peppers cost me $4.50 and on sale.




I used (I meant to use some minced onion, but forgot, unfortunately):
  • 4 large bell peppers, tops cut off and chopped, peppers hollowed and seeded (they fit perfectly into my 6 quart pot)
  • 1 pound extra lean ground turkey 
  • 1 teaspoon of "Kitchen Bouquet".  I don't like white, anemic looking ground turkey.  This would take care of that.
  • 1 cup cooked Ancient Grains (Bulgur, Red Rice, White Quinoa, Barley, Wheat Berries).  I got these from Costco.
  • 1 cup reduced-sodium marinara sauce, divided  
  • 3 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
  • 2 teaspoons tomato paste
  • Fresh cracked black pepper to taste 
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 1 cup water (for the instant pot)
  • 4 slices of fresh Mozza cheese

When I looked at the recipe, I was surprised the directions said to use RAW turkey.  I guess because I've always used cooked meat when I've made them before.  Anyway, after I thought about it for second, I did it, as I surmised the pressure cooker would look after the cooking...and it was easier too...PLUS, I bought this new fancy, schmancy (not really, like $15 or so) instant read thermometer, so it just needed to reach 165 degrees - and it did, it was 185 actually after I pulled them out when the cheese melted.


Mix chopped pepper tops with ground turkey, cooked ancient grains, 1/2 cup marinara sauce, Kitchen Bouquet, parsley, tomato paste, salt, black pepper, and garlic. Combine until everything is well incorporated.


Stuff about 1 cup ground turkey mixture into each pepper. The filling was a perfect amount for the 4 peppers.


Pour 1 cup water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place a rack in. Put the stuffed peppers on top. Put Marinara sauce over the tops of each pepper.


Cover and cook on manual high pressure for 15 minutes and then use natural release. I hit cancel and unplug my instant pot while it does the "natural thing".  Then I listen for the pin to drop.  I vented.  opened the lid and topped with mozzarella cheese.  I covered again until the cheese melted.


To serve, I lifted each pepper out with tongs.  I cut them in half and the garnished with parsley.



AND, it was delicious.  My most successful "Instant Pot" recipe to date.  The peppers were so tender, it was just what I always want from the oven and have never got.  All the flavors were bright, vibrant and fresh.  They did need a good crack of fresh pepper and kosher salt, to taste, but I would just pay attention to better seasoning next time round.  I'd also remember the onions I forgot to add.  I will do this one again, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment