Thursday, January 4, 2018

Pinto Bean & Andouille Sausage Stew

Ever since I saw an online post about pinto beans a week or two ago, I've been craving them.  I was going to do them in the pressure cooker, but since I am off work, decided to do them low and slow on the stove top.  I can remember my dad's last wife making these, years ago.  They were so good, but such a carb coma overload with the rice.  I wouldn't be using the rice.  She always made hers with a smoked ham hock.  I debated it, but had the andouille in the fridge.  My co-worker brings these back from the States for me.



I based mine on this recipe.  With my edits, what I used is below:
  • 1 pound dry pinto beans
  • 1 tablespoon avocado oil
  • 12 ounces andouille sausage, diced
  • 4 slices bacon, cut into one inch pieces
  • 2 cups diced onions
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed and chopped fine
  • 2 cups diced green bell pepper
  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 1 jalapeño, small dice with stems and seeds
  • 2 chilies in adobo sauce, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Pasilla chili powder
  • Cilantro stems bundle, tied with kitchen twine 
  • 2 cups, canned diced tomatoes (I used chili flavor)
  • 6 cups chicken stock, (I used low sodium "Better than Bouillon")
  • Kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste, no salt until beans are cooked
  • Freshly micro-planed lime zest from 1 lime
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
I soaked the beans in water overnight, then drained and rinsed them.  I rinsed them really well.



I heated the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. I added the sausage and bacon and cooked until the bacon was almost crisp.


I removed with a slotted spoon and set aside.  I added the onions and garlic and stirred over medium heat, until soft and lightly browned.


I added bell peppers, celery, chilies in adobo sauce, jalapeno and chili powder and stirred until everything was soft.


Next the tomatoes and the cilantro stems went in.  I always bestow the virtues of adding fresh herbs to flavor food.  Cilantro stems are one of my ultimate favorites!  I mixed until well combined.


I added the beans and broth into the pot and brought to a boil.  I reduced the heat to a simmer and left it uncovered for 2 hours.   At that time I removed the cilantro stems. I added back the sausage and bacon along with S&P, to taste. I simmered until the beans were soft.  I put in the lime zest, and juice.  I garnished with cilantro.



This was vibrant in taste - spicy and layered flavors.  The lime zest was a nice addition.  The beans were soft but not mushy.  It was a comforting winter dish.  I'm looking forward to leftovers tomorrow.  I'll add a little crumbled goat cheese on top at that time.

1 comment: