Sunday, January 21, 2018

Ground Turkey, Salami, Barley Vegetable Soup

The soup title sounds weird, doesn't it?  I was going to make stuffed peppers today, but didn't feel like putting it together.  I just decided to try and use up a bunch of odds & ends food leftovers in the fridge.  So, soup it was.  It morphed into an interesting hodgepodge potage and I still had a few things I couldn't fit into the pot...
  • 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 Parmesan cheese rind
  • 1/2 lb of salami, diced
  • 6 cups of low sodium chicken broth (I used "Better than Bouillon")
  • 1 large carrot, diced
  • 1/2 lb of white mushrooms, sliced and quartered
  • 2 handfuls of haricot vert, sliced in 1 inch pieces
  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 2 large handfuls of organic baby spinach
  • 1 cup of dried gourmet mushrooms, soaked in 2 cups of boiling water till re-hydrated, then chopped.  Broth then strained into soup
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, whole but sliced open
  • 2 cups Napa cabbage, sliced thin
  • 1 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1/2 cup of pearl barley
  • 1/4 cup of Israeli couscous harvest grains mix (leftover and wanted to use it up)
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Tablespoon of "Kitchen Bouquet" seasoning to color the anemic turkey
  • Fresh cilantro, thyme, dill, basil & Italian parsley tied with kitchen twine
  • Cayenne pepper, to taste
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
I did all my chopping first.  At least my "absent sous chef" cleaned my kitchen spotless so I had that bonus when I started...I have to be honest.  I got these new expensive German knives and I love chopping now.  It's so easy and so fast when you have good knives!  I don't know why I waited so long to invest in proper knives...


I sauteed the onion, garlic, white mushrooms, salami and turkey first.  I added the "Kitchen Bouquet".  Then everything else except the spinach went into the pot.



I brought to a boil and then simmered on very low for 45 minutes.  I fished out the bay leaves, cheese rind, herbs and jalapeno, then added in the spinach.


5 minutes later it was time to serve.  I made a country bread grilled cheese for my son to eat with his soup.  Below, is his dinner tonight.


The broth in the soup was terrific!  The salami gave a nice flavor and saltiness - who knew?  All in all, it was a pleasant surprise.  Will I ever make it exactly like this again?  No, but it turned out well for using what I could get rid of in my fridge. I really don't like to waste food.  No complaints.  Some will get it for lunch tomorrow and then it will end up in the freezer for easy soup some other time...

No comments:

Post a Comment