Sunday, January 14, 2018

Japanese Curried Chicken with Italian Farro

I thought about whether to write this up, and I did - simply because when I was trying to remember how I made it last time, I couldn't.  If I post it, I will have it in my food diary which is this blog.  So this post is not really "homemade", it's "curry in a hurry".  I typically use this store bought stuff called "Glico" and I think is pretty darn good, though, certainly not sodium friendly - it's loaded.  If I order this curry while out, I usually get it at fast food Japanese places.  There's a really good one in a Korean food court by my office.  I usually always get the deep fried pork cutlet with it so it's called "Katsu-karē".  The pack below was $1.99.



I didn't use rice today as my starch.  I used some really, really good organic, heirloom farro from my favorite Southern place, Anson Mills.



This was going to make my dish healthier than using "white rice".  😊  I soaked it overnight. I did all my mise en place first and started the farro as it took a half hour to cook.  For the chicken, I used boneless, skinless thighs - I had about a pound and just used it all.


The instructions are right on the back of the box and are now below:
  • 1/2 lb of boneless and skinless chicken/meat/seafood/tofu (whichever you desire or combine them).
  • 2 tbsp oil for stir fry (I used avocado)
  • 2 -3 cubes Glico curry sauce (I used the whole pack which was for 4 - 6 servings)
  • 1 medium carrot (I diced mine)
  • 1 medium onion (I diced mine)
  • 1 medium potato
  • 2 - 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • Option - add your favorite vegetables and fruits (I used a green pepper, cilantro and a big handful of green beans, sliced in 1 inch pieces)
  • Cayenne pepper, as desired or omit it (I never omit it)
    Directions:
    • Cut all ingredients into bite size pieces.


    • In a large skillet, stir fry onion. Add all other ingredients and stir for few minutes.  


    • Add 2 cups (500 ml) of water to the skillet and bring to boil. I added my farro in here as it was still really firm and chewy.  Cook in medium low heat with a lid for 30 minutes or until tender.


    • Remove from heat and add Glico curry sauce (break into several pieces). Stir until completely melted. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes.


    • Serve with rice, pasta/noodle or bread

    I garnished with some chopped cilantro and then it had some bright color, lol.  My "One Pot Curry in a Hurry" was complete!  I served my son some toasted Italian bread to dip in the sauce.


    It is my experience that any time I use an Anson Mills product, it becomes the star of the dish and the other components don't even matter. However tonight, it just gave a nice texture that was very welcome in a softish dish. It added a nutty kind of element and we both loved it.  All I can say is that I heart 💗 Glico.  The package said "hot" but I didn't find it that way.  Just a mild undertone of heat and that is with my half teaspoon of cayenne pepper too.  It was YUMMY!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment