Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Real Texas Chili Con Carne

I made this for a co-worker.  He is always talking about chili from Texas (where he lived for quite some time) and how it doesn't have beans.  And I add, or tomatoes.  So, I decided it was time to give it a whirl.  I looked at soooo many recipes and had a hard time finding one I liked or could modify.  I finally found the one I wanted on "Serious Eats" and I stopped looking once there.  I made some minor adaptations:

  • 4 lb Top Sirloin roast, cut into 1" thick steaks
  • 2 dried New Mexico & 2 California chili peppers, stems and seeds removed
  • 3 small hot dried Arbol chilies, stems & seeds removed
  • 2 dried Ancho and 2 Pasilla chilies, stems and seeds removed
  • 2 whole Chipotle chilies canned in adobo sauce
  • 1 litre "Better than Bouillon" low sodium chicken broth 
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons avocado oil
  • 1 large onion, finely diced
  • 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon powdered cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
  • 2 tablespoons Red Boat fish sauce
  • 3 tablespoons masa harina
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • Hot sauce, to taste
  • Cilantro, chopped onions, scallions, grated cheese, avocado, and warm tortillas for serving as desired
I have to admit, I might have a problem with buying chilies, 😊.  I pulled them out of my cupboard and discovered I hoard them...I couldn't even fit them all in one picture.  There were four bags further down the counter and these were layered 2 bags deep.


I added all the dried chilies to a Dutch oven and toasted over medium-high heat, stirring frequently.  I waited until I could smell them and did not let them smoke.





I moved them to a measuring cup with half the stock and chipotles.  I covered with plastic wrap, and nuked until they started to boil.  It took about 5 minutes. I took it out of the  microwave and it set aside.  I put the chilies and liquid in the  blender.  I started at low and put a towel over the lid.  Then I went to high speed.


Blend until smooth.  Season steaks with salt and pepper.


I browned the steaks on both sides in hot oil in a dutch oven.


I moved steaks to a cutting board and let rest and cool.  I cut them in to 2 inch pieces.

I put the pot on the burner over medium heat. I sauteed the onions and until translucent and soft. I added the garlic, cinnamon, cumin, allspice, and oregano, and cooked until I could smell the spices. I put the steak in along with chili blend and remaining chicken broth. I stirred until mixed.


I turned it up and brought to a boil.  I covered with the lid slightly ajar. This went into a 250°F oven for 3 hours.  I stirred once at the half way point.

I mixed in the fish sauce, masa harina, and vinegar. The masa thickened it instantly.  I added hot sauce to taste. I checked the seasoning. I didn't use any salt at all because of the fish sauce.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took a serving out for my co-worker and packed him some green onions, grated cheddar and cilantro.  I also packed him a couple of corn tortillas to eat with it.  I let it cool down and then put it in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner.  We ordered in sushi while I was slaving away over this...It was 11pm now!!  I did taste it.  The beef was tender and the sauce had excellent flavor already.  I couldn't wait for tomorrow.


At dinner, I reheated the chili.  "Serve garnished with cilantro, scallions, grated cheese, avocado, and warm tortillas as desired".


I enjoyed this a lot.  It reminded me of pozole I make, with the chili flavor.  My co-worker really liked it - I swear he got a "Texas swagger" on after eating it and told me it was the "real deal".  😊 He said the cilantro tasted woody, so I bought a new fresh bunch for ours and it was fine.  I like beans and tomatoes in my chili, so this probably won't wind up in my wheelhouse but it was fun to try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment