Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Frijoles Charros (Mexican Cowboy Beans)

I saw this and I immediately wanted to make it, so it became dinner tonight.  I've been craving "pork and beans" but wanted to make it homemade.



I soaked the beans in kosher (2 tablespoons) salted water the night before.  What I used:
  • 1 pound dried pinto beans
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 340g diced natural bacon with no preservatives
  • 1 Vidalia onion, diced
  • 2 jalapeños with innards and seeds, fine dice 
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 (10-ounce) cans "Rotel" diced tomatoes with chilies
  • 1/2 teaspoon hickory liquid smoke
  • 6 cups organic "Better than Bouillon" low-sodium chicken stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Large pinch of dried epazote (I bought this at a Mexican grocer)
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped leaves and fine stems
  • Lime wedges for garnish
In a dutch oven, I stir-fried the bacon until almost crisp.


I added the onion, jalapeno, and garlic.


I stirred frequently until onions were softened.  I added in the tomatoes and liquid smoke.  I combined until mixed well and slightly thickened.


I added in the beans (rinsed well), stock, bay leaves, epazote and S&P to taste (I only added some pepper here).  I brought this to a boil and then covered with a lid.  I lowered the heat to a simmer for about an hour.  I removed the lid and continued to cook until beans were creamy.  This took me another hour.  The beans were soft after the first hour, but the sauce was thin.  It never did thicken up or reduce as much as I would have liked.  I just served less liquid when I put them in a bowl.  I took out the bay leaves and stirred in the cilantro.  I checked the seasoning.


I served this with natural, no preservative hot dogs in buns, so my pork n beans craving would be met in full.  I used to love wienies and beans.  These had really good flavor, smokey and a nice heat overall.  I had a mix of white and brown pinto beans.  I've never seen white before, but they were definitely creamier.


No comments:

Post a Comment