Saturday, June 9, 2018

Grilled Jerk Chicken

I was inspired to make some Jerk chicken on the grill when I came across this recipe.  I've never been to Jamaica, but remember it fondly when visiting Turks And Caicos Island.  It's pictured below.



I couldn't find Scotch Bonnet peppers so had to settle for Habanero.


Here's what I used for mine:
  • 1 Vidalia onion, large chunks 
  • 3 green onions ends trimmed, chopped in 5 pieces
  • 2 Habanero peppers, (seeds, pith and stems removed - I was scared) chopped in quarters 
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped  in quarters
  • 1 tablespoon five-spice powder 
  • 2 tablespoons allspice powder
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cracked pepper 
  • Few sprigs of fresh thyme, stripped off stems
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (I used a microplane)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt 
  • 1/2 cup organic coconut liquid aminos (you can use soy sauce instead)
  • 1 tablespoon organic coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup avocado oil 
  • 8 chicken legs with backs (like in the first picture above)
First, you have to be really careful when handling these peppers.  I washed them and then didn't touch them with my hands again.  I cut them on a plastic bag on my cutting board and washed the knife and fork I used with dish soap immediately after.  The smell when I cut them open caught in my throat and made me cough - pungent and strong!


I put everything but the chicken in the food processor and blended it up.


I put the chicken into a ziploc and poured the marinade over and massaged it all in.  I put in the fridge, overnight.  That was good as it was raining and I couldn't have used the BBQ if I wanted to...next day I grilled the chicken over medium heat, lid down for about a half hour until cooked through.





I served with roasted asparagus with lemon and a gourmet wild rice blend.  I gave my son some BBQ sauce on the side for his chicken.


The chicken had a nice heat when you ate the skin.  It wasn't permeated through the meat, so overall, it was kind of mild.  It was nice with the heat and needed to balance the allspice flavors.  Turned out quite delicious.  I will make this again.  Next time I'd probably grind whole allspice instead of using powder and I'd use thighs only.

No comments:

Post a Comment