Thursday, June 14, 2018

Marcella Hazan's Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter

It's funny how recipes jump out and speak to me at times.  I saw this and for its simplicity, it was dinner tonight.  It was love at first sight and it was a handful of ingredients.  In the end though, I doctored it to my liking.  I added some garlic, chili flakes and fresh basil.  I used:

  • 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes of Agro Sarnese - Nocerino area D.O.P.
  • 1 Vidalia onion, peeled and halved (I so love it when these are in season!)
  • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 2 whole cloves of garlic
  • 1 teaspoon crushed chili flakes (or to your taste)
  • 340 grams Ancient Grains spaghettini
  • Fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano cheese
  • Fresh basil, torn and for garnish
And that was all she wrote.  All I did was put the tomatoes, onion, butter, garlic, chili flakes and S&P in a saucepan.


I brought it to a low constant simmer and let it cook uncovered for about an hour.


When thickened to my liking, I checked the seasoning.  I used my immersion blender to break down the onion and garlic.


When smooth, I tossed with the pasta, basil and served.


I sprinkled the cheese and a little more basil over top.


Mmmm, that butter did a little "somethin' somethin'" to do those tomatoes.  YUM.  So simple, so delicious.  It was like a thick cream based tomato soup.  Just perfect.  Best.Tomato.Sauce.Ever!  The basil heightened it all.  Definitely a keeper...





No comments:

Post a Comment