Sunday, June 24, 2018

Chunky San Marzano Tomato Gazpacho Soup

It was time for my annual gazpacho making which I bring to my co-worker every summer.  This time, I was going to use some of it to poach some cod in too.  I love the taste of San Marzano tomatoes and it struck me to use them as the liquid part of the gazpacho this time.  I bought a signature medley of gourmet cherry tomatoes I would use for the texture.  Different from all the other times I've made it, I was going to blend most of it and then add some small diced veggies in for the texture.  I nibbled all the veggies below and everything was great quality and fresh in taste.



I was inspired by this recipe after looking to see if anyone else uses San Marzano's... here's what I did:
  • 28 oz can San Marzano tomatoes of Agro Sarnese - Nocerino area D.O.P., blended
  • 20 cherry tomatoes, cut in eighths
  • 1 Vidalia onion, cut small and blended
  • 1/2 bunch of cilantro with stems, trimmed of woody ends, blended
  • 1 English cucumber, peeled and seeds removed, cut in chunks for blending
  • 2 mini cucumbers, diced fine for soup
  • 1 avocado, pit and peel removed, blended
  • 1 orange bell pepper, innards and seeds removed, 3 quarters cut small and blended, 1 quarter diced fine for soup
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, innards and seeds removed, 3 quarters cut small and blended, 1 quarter diced fine for soup
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, innards and seeds removed, cut small and blended
  • 1 Serrano pepper cut in half with innards and seeds, blended
  • 1 clove of garlic, cut in half and any green stem removed (makes bitter taste), blended
  • 4 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar, for blender
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
  • Cholula hot sauce, to taste
  • Fresh basil, torn for garnish
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, blended and more for garnish
  • Toasted Country Bread slices, as accompaniment
I used a regular blender for mixing and everything went in as above as listed for that.


I had to do 2 batches as it got pretty full.  I fine diced the peppers and mini cukes.  I gave that my best "brunoise" skill.  That took the longest of all the tasks. The tomatoes were easy.


I put all the veggies off to the side for now.  When the soup was blended as much as I possibly could, I pushed it through a strainer and into a dutch oven.


Most of it came through, just a bit of pulpy mixture left at the end.


I stirred in all the diced veggies.


I checked the seasoning and added the hot sauce.  I put it in the refrigerator to let the flavors meld together.  A couple of hours for sure, but I like it next day best as it's usually better.


For serving, I drizzled some olive oil over, S&P and sprinkled the basil over the top.  I put a slice of toasted country bread with organic extra virgin olive spread over along the side.


I LOVED this.  Maybe because there was no bitterness that I've gotten a couple of times in previous years.  This, to me, was perfect.  I had two bowls and I usually only "taste" it each year and nothing more.  The avocado made it nice and creamy too.  My son had some when he got home and he thought it tasted great too, though said he likes it smooth better.  Personally, I think he just didn't like the cucumbers...

No comments:

Post a Comment