Sunday, May 12, 2019

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies

I felt like using my KitchenAid stand mixer today and wanted to make cookies.  I can't even remember the last time I've made them... I saw I still had a Costco size huge bag of chocolate chips in the cupboard that I bought at Christmas for something.  I decided cookies it was, sweet and salty ones!  What I used today:

  • 2 & 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons corn starch (to keep cookies soft)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup Demerara sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 organic free range eggs, room temperature 
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups Kirkland semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup pecans, crushed lightly with mallet in Ziploc bag
  • Fleur de sel, for garnish

I lined a baking sheet with parchment paper.  I whisked the flour, corn starch, baking soda and kosher salt in a bowl.  I took one stick of butter and melted over medium heat in a sauce pan.  I cooked it until it was amber brown and smelled toasted.  It smelled a bit like caramels and that's what it tasted like too.  I set aside and let cool.  In my stand mixer I used the beater attachment and added the sugars, eggs, vanilla, stick of butter and browned butter.  I used setting 2 and then 4.



When creamy, I added in the the flour mixture (setting 2) incorporating until all combined, scraping sides down as necessary.


I mixed in the the chocolate chips and pecans.



I laid out a piece of plastic wrap and shaped the dough into a log.




I rolled it up and twisted both ends to seal it.  This went into the fridge for an hour.  This is so the butter doesn't spread and make the cookies do the "secretary spread" when they bake.  I took it out and sliced it into cookies and put it on parchment.   It was a big log.  I put the remaining dough in a Ziploc and into the freezer.  I lightly sprinkled Fleur de sel over each one. 



I preheated the oven to 350°F and baked for 15 minutes.   I cooled for 5 minutes on baking sheet and then moved them to a wire rack to finish. 


I served my son a couple with a glass of milk, of course.


These were ooey gooey good and soft, with a salty taste and crunch from the pecans.  I had a taste test and even I liked them.  The chocolate was nice and melty.  He was very, very satisfied.  I wish all the moms out there a Happy Mothers Day!  This is one of things we moms do, make cookies for our families, sharing love through our meals.  😊

No comments:

Post a Comment