Saturday, May 11, 2019

Cedar Plank Pork Tenderloin & Grilled Okra

I have a feeling by the end of this year's grilling season, I will have put many a different foods on the cedar plank.  My head went through so many different possibilities of rubs and marinades, but in the end decided to keep it simple.

  • 2 & 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin, silver skin removed
  • 1/2 cup of organic extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 4 cloves of garlic, smashed and coarsely chopped
  • Sprig of fresh Rosemary
  • Few sprigs of fresh Thyme
  • Handful of fresh Italian parsley
  • 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste

I mixed the marinade in a bowl and then poured in a large Ziploc bag.  I seasoned the pork with S&P.  This was quite cheap to buy on sale.  I paid $10 for both of them below.  The okra was reasonable too, as I usually buy it really expensive when I find it, but got what I used for under $5 so I was very happy.


I put them in the baggy as well.


This went in the fridge overnight.  I'd turn the bag over and massage a little when I went into the fridge at times.  The next day I soaked a cedar plank for 2 hours in cold water.  I preheated my grill to 450°F.  (The grill temp changes on mine year to year depending on many factors, so do as yours works).  I put the plank on for 5 minutes till it was crackling and smoking.  I flipped it and then put the tenderloins on and closed the lid.  


While cooking, I washed and then tossed the okra in olive oil.


I seasoned with S&P and Trader Joe's "Everyday Seasoning" and a little cayenne pepper.  I put these on skewers and set them aside until the pork was done, 140°F on my handy dandy meat thermometer.  I put BBQ sauce on one tenderloin as my son loves it.  I let this rest in the kitchen.


I turned the grill temperature to 500°F.  I grilled the okra until charred and done.  Took about 5 minutes each side, though I flipped twice to make sure.


I made a baked potato in the oven for my son as well.  I garnished it with cream cheese and chives.


The okra was perfect - loved it!  You're supposed to do it at high heat and let the center become soft, but not toooo slimy...this was dead on right.  The seasoning and char was spot on.  Pork was flavorful and tender to being heavenly in both aspects.  I couldn't have asked for anything to work out more tasty, dinner was flawless.

No comments:

Post a Comment