Monday, May 20, 2019

Homemade Baked Beans with Weenies

On vacay now and I felt like making this - who doesn't love weenies and beans?  Plus it was surprisingly cold, grey and chilly when I woke up, so this dish seemed perfect for today.  I remember years ago making baked beans and after all the time it took, I decided it tasted just like opening a can of pork 'n beans and haven't made them since.  However, canned processed products are way down on my list of use nowadays... This recipe (my own concoction) is time consuming so not something I would make while working.

  • 1 cup navy white beans, soaked in water overnight
  • 2 cups pinto beans, soaked in water overnight
  • 5 cups organic low sodium "Better than Bouillon" vegetable stock
  • 1 large sweet onion, diced
  • 2 Anaheim peppers, diced with seeds and stems removed
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced 
  • 2 tablespoons pure "Kirkland" Maple syrup
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons "Bragg's" organic apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons demerara brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon "Colman's" dried mustard
  • 2 chipotle peppers in a adobe sauce, chopped finely
  • ¼ cup "Crosby’s Fancy Molasses"
  • 1 can (156 ml) low sodium organic tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon "Lea & Perrin's" Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 slices natural nitrite free bacon, sliced in one inch pieces
  • 375 grams natural nitrite free wieners, sliced in half inch pieces

I soaked the beans covered, 24 hours with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt in cold water and drained/rinsed in the morning.


I preheated the oven to 250°F.  I chopped the peppers, onion and garlic.



Since I was using a dutch oven for this, I decided to fry the bacon.


When crisp I removed it and put it on paper towels.


I used the fat to saute the onions, garlic and Anaheim peppers until soft.  I mixed in the stock, Maple syrup, vinegar, brown sugar, molasses, tomato paste, Worcestershire, chipotle peppers, S&P and beans.


I combined well and brought to a boil.  I had a quick taste and the chipotles gave a fantastic smoky heat countering  the sweet notes.  So far, so good.  I turned the burner off and sprinkled the bacon on top.  I covered with a lid.  This went into the oven for 8 hours.  I checked on it every couple of hours and stirred to make sure the liquid level was okay.  I would have added water if needed.  There was no need to worry about this...


At hour six, I removed the lid and stirred in the weenies.


I left the cover off and let this go for the remaining 2 hours.  I checked seasoning (didn't need a thing, and those wieners were salty) and then it was ready to serve.  I made my son's favorite buttermilk biscuits to finish the dinner entree.  


The chipotle peppers were the star of this dish, they really made it shine brightly ✨.  The beans were soft and creamy and the overall flavor was superb - like POW, as far as I was concerned.  We were very happy with the outcome.  Upscale weenies and beans for sure...and those biscuits...Mmmmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment