Friday, May 3, 2019

Instant Pot: Lazy Lasagna Soup

Can you say easy weeknight comfort food?  I did.  Seemed perfect to end the work week because I don't like cooking on Fridays.  I walked 11 km today after only a few hours of sleep last night and a long work week.  I didn't end up making this till 10pm - after a nap!  😴 I made minor edits.  You don't need an instant pot to make this, it will just take longer in a dutch oven to simmer the soupy sauce.  What I used:
  • 1 pound extra lean ground beef
  • 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced and halved
  • 1 large onion, chopped 
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced 
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced 
  • 4 cups organic low sodium "Better than Bouillon" chicken stock 
  • 1 (14.5-oz.) can organic low sodium tomato sauce
  • 1 (6-oz.) can organic no-salt tomato paste 
  • 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning 
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed chili flakes
  • Kosher salt, to taste 
  • Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • 12 whole-wheat lasagna noodles (1/2 the 375 gram box), broken into pieces in a large ziploc bag 
  • 4 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated 
  • Ricotta di Campagna cheese, dolloped to taste
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, and for garnish
  • 1/2 cup fresh Italian parsley, and for garnish
I set the Instant Pot to sauté.  I added the beef; stirring until browned.  I dumped in the  mushrooms, onion, bell pepper, and garlic.



Then the stock, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, S&P.


I sealed the lid and selected "manual". I did high pressure for 10 minutes.  The recipe said to do a quick release, which I did.  It said to set on saute again and cook the noodles in there.  I didn't do that. Something grosses me out about the thought of cooking pasta directly in something you're going to eat - all the starch I guess...


I boiled the noodles separately to al dente, drained and stirred them into the finished soup. I turned it on saute at this point just to make sure everything was steamy and hot.  I stirred in some fresh parsley/basil.  I checked the seasoning.


I served and garnished with mozza, a dollop of ricotta cheese and a few more fresh herbs.


I LOVED it!  Swoon.  The ricotta and mozza were key to the finish.  It tasted just like lasagna.  The fresh basil sung out loud.  It was a creamy, dreamy masterpiece.  A nice piece of Italian bread to dip in it would be glorious.  THIS will be made again in my house.  I wouldn't change a thing that I did.  I figured by tomorrow, the leftover noodles would suck up the broth and it would be just like sloppy lasagna, which was fine by me...

May 4th:

Yes, as predicted and it tasted even better!  Mmmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment