Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Cowboy Caviar

Now that I'm seeing fresh corn for sale, I decided to make this.  Loved the colorfulness of it and the name of the recipe.  I didn't think I'd be able to find black eyed peas, but I did in "No Frills" grocery store - No Name brand... What I used:

FOR THE DRESSING:
  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • Large handful fresh cilantro, chopped - half in dressing, half in salad
  • 1 tablespoon Cholula hot sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste and in salad

FOR THE SALAD:
  • 1 can organic no-salt black beans, drained and rinsed very well
  • 1 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 2 ears of corn, stripped off cob with sharp knife
  • 8 baby Romanella tomatoes, halved lengthwise and each side quartered
  • 1 can black eyed peas, drained and rinsed very well
  • 2 orange bell peppers, diced
  • 2 small avocados, diced
  • Whole Grain corn tortilla chips, lightly crushed 
I whisked the salad dressing together first and then set it aside.  


I chopped/assembled all the veggies into a bowl one by one.  


I tossed in the avocado right before I served with the dressing.  


I checked for seasoning and thought it was good as is.  


I mixed in some tortilla pieces for the crunch factor.  I was worried I wouldn't like the black eyed peas, just because I don't like the name or the look of them...it turns out I don't mind them at all.  But, OMG, the corn!  The corn was soooo sweet!  It was like it was just freshly picked off the stalk.  Wow, did I score when I grabbed that, it was milky and delicious.  It was from California, and it was only choice I had at the vegetable market today.   This salad was a total winner - I think it will become a summer staple.


No comments:

Post a Comment